Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-20-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
From personal experience, every single Marineland biowheel filter I have had is loud. They at least have a loud splash sound from the biowheel spinning the water and then mechanism itself will normally make a good hum sound. If you are sensitive to sound (I am too), you will have to top it off every night to get it at the precise level where you won't hear any of the splashing.

Sorry, I don't have any recommendations of a quiet filter. I love Marinelands and only use them, but they are so loud!

55gPLANTED:Rainbows/Loaches/Garras|30gVIV:Crestie|20gL:Leos|10g:Pearl Fighter|5g:Betta|5gChi:Spark Gourami/Badis|5g:ADF|2.5g:Betta|2.5g:Betta|
TheCrazyFishLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Make sure the needle in the base(impeller)is clean. My oscar was kicking up sand and it was causing a lot of noise in my ac110. I have had it for over a year, and it is super quiet.

Breezyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, for the AquaClear:
-Make sure that the intake tubes are very clean, you can do this with pipe cleaners.
-Wash out the impellers, it might be the problem.
-Take the plastic lid off, see if that helps.
-Turn it off, dump out all the water, including in the impeller, then turn it back on, fill it up with water about halfway and let it start.

That should help. Not once in the whole one and a half years I've had the AquaClear has it been noisy.

I do not recommend Marineland Bio-Wheel Filters if you want something quiet. When I had my tank in my bedroom, all you could hear was that. It is super noisy, I can even here it from the kitchen when it's in the living room. At this point I just want to trade it in for another AquaClear.
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've probably run 20 Aquaclears or so, of every size, and they are the most quiet hang on back filter available IMO. If you have not tried removing the impeller and cleaning the housing, then re-seating the impeller, that might work. If the impeller is bent or damaged, a replacement should make the filter more quiet.

If you still can't get it to where it's acceptable for you, a Rena XP1/XP2 or Fluval 205 would be good choices for canisters. A good canister is extremely quiet even compared to the best HOB.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I have to agree with mama I NEVER had any issues with any of my AC's and I ran 2 110's and they were quiet and easy to maintain. I did however have issues with my marineland bio wheels, they stop turning often. I would have to take take them off and turn them to let the water out and then they were fine. I loved the AC's

Now I have upgraded to a canister which I will admit intimidated me at first. I have the fluval fx5 and I will never go back to a HOB, canister FTW (for the win)

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

aquaclear, clear

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com