Fuge plumbing / pvc cement and leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
The plumbing to my sump is almost complete. There seems to be one leak on the drain line. However, this leak is coming from a flushing that I used both pvc primer AND pvc cement on. I thought I put enough on there to hold. Is there anything I can do now rather than cutting this thing apart? Will silicone help to seal around the leaking pvc join? Anything else

Thanks.

In my opinion, silicone would only be a temporary band-aid. You do not want to setup a scruffy system when dealing with water. Leaks can get very expensive. If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right the first time. ;)

Just wondering here. Using primer before the actual cement is good practice, but when you connected your parts, did you applied a 1/4 of turn as you slipped your pipe in your elbox/connector, what-have-you? DOing a small rotation helps to ensure that you have a good seal. HTH and keep us posted.

:)

Yes, I did. I had my trusty Home Depot 1-2-3 book next to me which suggested that. Can't imagine what I did wrong, but I absolutely gave it a twist. Maybe I just didn't use enough.

So, you're going with - take it apart and try again? That's going to be harder than it sounds.

I encountered the same problem when I finished my plumbing. I found that silicone will not work- it won't stick to plastic very well at all. What I did was pick up some epoxy putty at lowes. They have some stuff that is meant for marine purposes and states right on the package that it will adhere even in the presence of saltwater to plastic- specifically says pvc I believe. Anyways, I used some of that around the leaky joint and it hasn't leaked since.

Well, let me ask this - what if I completely forgot to pvc cement that join and I'm a complete tool wasting everyone's time?

:) Sorry about that. This project has taken way too long and I'm starting to lose my mind.

Thanks anyway.

Hey Pete! Don't worry about it, take it slow. After I moved, last September, I had to fill and manually empty my tank (125 gal) 6 times before I finally had all the leaks fixed! I too was at the point of loosing my mind. Hehehe... Give a rest for a couple of hours. But yes, it can happen that one forgets a step. Been there, done that. Sometimes, discussing an issue with other people gives you a different perspective on a problem and eventually the solution presents itself. Remember, this hobby is a lot about patience, patience, patience. Hehehe Hang in there buddy, you will fix that problem.

Cheers! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom