Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolmar View Post
Thanks for all that info.
I haven't seen the table yet, but I'm pretty sure it's solid wood.
If I'm correct a 50g tank would weight around 450 pounds right? (With sand and accessories)
It's usually 10lbs. per gallon and that is a low estimate. You'd easily be over 500 lbs.

If it were me. I would get a stand specific for the tank. If anything you will have piece of mind and it will have a warranty should anything fail.

Also, if you get a stand. Get one with vertical boards that support the weight, not horizontal. It should be hollow in the middle also. With a small lip that the frame of the aquarium sits on. You don't want the bottom glass to rest on a flat surface. This will end badly. The Perfecto is a good example.

as seen here:
http://www.elmersaquarium.com/images...tand%20oak.gif

Old 08-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Double post sorry.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #13

That's a nice looking stand. I want something like that but all I can find around here is the cheap black stands.
And if I find one like that it will probably be a kit where I need to get aquarium with it.
I still need to do some research in the stores, maybe I can get my hand on something nice.

Thank
Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus2112 View Post
It should be hollow in the middle also. With a small lip that the frame of the aquarium sits on. You don't want the bottom glass to rest on a flat surface.
Why does it need to be hollow and why does to botton of the aquarium can't be on a flat surface?

You mean it wouldn't be a good idea to put in directly on the floor?
Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Why does it need to be hollow and why does to botton of the aquarium can't be on a flat surface?

You mean it wouldn't be a good idea to put in directly on the floor?
Only if it is a rimmed glass tank. If the bottom pane of glass bows and has something restricting it (a flat piece of wood) it could crack the glass. That would not be good. haha

It can be on the floor as long as it is empty. I wouldn't fill a 50 gallon and leave it on the floor permanently, maybe only to leak test it. Even then, I would leak test it on a stand just to be sure the stand with hold.

In the end, it is up to you. Cheap vs Piece of Mind. That is what it comes down to.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
I still need to do some research in the stores, maybe I can get my hand on something nice.

Thank
That is the key! Don't buy a thing until you are absolutely sure what you want to do. Plan your every move 5 steps in advance. You'll be amazed at how smoothly everything will go.

Also, this may be obvious but....Make sure you have space laid out for the tank BEFORE you buy it. It should be level and away from windows, heaters and foot traffic.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #17

Ok so if there's a rimmed glass tank, where the glass doesn't touch the wood, it's ok?

I'm not looking for cheap, the stand I posted above is around 500$
My girlfriend amd I want something pretty.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Ok so if there's a rimmed glass tank, where the glass doesn't touch the wood, it's ok?

I'm not looking for cheap, the stand I posted above is around 500$
My girlfriend amd I want something pretty.
Sorry if I confused you. Lol. That wasn't my intention.

Basically if you buy a stand made for the tank you buy, you will be safe. If you choose to use a non-fish tank stand, I can't say for sure if it will or won't work. That is a risk you have to take.

*What I was trying to say is..You don't want the bottom glass to be touching anything. It needs to be able to give a little and it will with all of the gravel and water weighing it down. Especially if you go with a 50 gallon or larger. The only thing supporting the tank should be the rim. If you have a flat surface under the tank and the bottom glass bows a little and contacts the surface, it could break. That is why most tank stands made for rimmed glass tanks are hollow in the middle. The tanks are supported around the perimeter and that is all.

Just trying to save you some headache. I was in the same predicament as you when I first got my tank. Keep doing your homework and you'll be fine.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here is a better example of what I mean. This is not my picture. I found it on google images.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #20

Ok I understand what you meant now.

Still haven't made up my mind yet. Still looking for something that will make me go wow.

Thanks for all the tips.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com