Furniture question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kolmar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would a table like this be good to support a 50g aquarium?
I'm not sure what size I'm going buy yet but it won't be larger than 50g.

ProductImages.aspx

Thanks

Yeah though so, but I don't have any info on it.

Lol, Well we need to see what the table looks like or what kind of support it provides.

Rule of thumb tho, if its not made to support the weight of a tank filled with water 55g tank will weigh around 600-800 lbs.

I suggest you buy a stand designed for a 55g.

Sorry I didn't even notice that the picture wasn't showing...

ProductImages.aspx

It *looks* reasonably sturdy, but I am not sure if it is designed for 700+ lbs.

A lot depends on how it is constructed. Solid wood vs Particle board, how it is jointed, etc.

If this is one of those assemble it yourself units, I would not trust it at all. Those are designed with edge jointed hardware held together with blind screws. One of the weaker ways of joining boards. Any loosening of the screws can mean disaster. I wouldn't use it for any more than a 30 gal or so. <That is based on weight only .... there is water involved as well .... If it is not solid wood, water/humidity will also loosen screws & swell plywood/particle boards/MDF .... again a risky proposition.>

So, for 55 gal (or any big tank), I would go for a specially designed stand. <And even for commercial stands, I'd look carefully at its construction ... avoild all MDF & particle board ... some of the cheap Wally world stands has exposed particle board edges & are doomed to fail in a few years ....>

If you are an accomplished DIY'er or a cabinet maker, you can make something like that work ... It means reinforcing/redesigning all the joints, putting in supports, make sure it is level & cannot rack, etc .....

+1 fabulous advice above....

Personally, I don't trust furniture where essentially the top is a shelf in itself and does not have anything more than a bracket for support. Unless, of course, it's furniture specifically meant to be a fish tank stand.

Thanks for all that info.
I haven't seen the table yet, but I'm pretty sure it's solid wood.
If I'm correct a 50g tank would weight around 450 pounds right? (With sand and accessories)

Thanks for all that info.
I haven't seen the table yet, but I'm pretty sure it's solid wood.
If I'm correct a 50g tank would weight around 450 pounds right? (With sand and accessories)

It's usually 10lbs. per gallon and that is a low estimate. You'd easily be over 500 lbs.

If it were me. I would get a stand specific for the tank. If anything you will have piece of mind and it will have a warranty should anything fail.

Also, if you get a stand. Get one with vertical boards that support the weight, not horizontal. It should be hollow in the middle also. With a small lip that the frame of the aquarium sits on. You don't want the bottom glass to rest on a flat surface. This will end badly. :ermm: The Perfecto is a good example.

as seen here:
http://www.elmersaquarium.com/images/aquarium_selection/tank 29 gal pine stand oak.gif

That's a nice looking stand. I want something like that but all I can find around here is the cheap black stands.
And if I find one like that it will probably be a kit where I need to get aquarium with it.
I still need to do some research in the stores, maybe I can get my hand on something nice.

Thank

It should be hollow in the middle also. With a small lip that the frame of the aquarium sits on. You don't want the bottom glass to rest on a flat surface.

Why does it need to be hollow and why does to botton of the aquarium can't be on a flat surface?

You mean it wouldn't be a good idea to put in directly on the floor?

Why does it need to be hollow and why does to botton of the aquarium can't be on a flat surface?

You mean it wouldn't be a good idea to put in directly on the floor?

Only if it is a rimmed glass tank. If the bottom pane of glass bows and has something restricting it (a flat piece of wood) it could crack the glass. That would not be good. haha

It can be on the floor as long as it is empty. I wouldn't fill a 50 gallon and leave it on the floor permanently, maybe only to leak test it. Even then, I would leak test it on a stand just to be sure the stand with hold.

In the end, it is up to you. Cheap vs Piece of Mind. That is what it comes down to. :)

I still need to do some research in the stores, maybe I can get my hand on something nice.

Thank

That is the key! Don't buy a thing until you are absolutely sure what you want to do. Plan your every move 5 steps in advance. You'll be amazed at how smoothly everything will go.

Also, this may be obvious but....Make sure you have space laid out for the tank BEFORE you buy it. It should be level and away from windows, heaters and foot traffic.

Ok so if there's a rimmed glass tank, where the glass doesn't touch the wood, it's ok?

I'm not looking for cheap, the stand I posted above is around 500$
My girlfriend amd I want something pretty. :)

Ok so if there's a rimmed glass tank, where the glass doesn't touch the wood, it's ok?

I'm not looking for cheap, the stand I posted above is around 500$
My girlfriend amd I want something pretty. :)

Sorry if I confused you. Lol. That wasn't my intention. :)

Basically if you buy a stand made for the tank you buy, you will be safe. If you choose to use a non-fish tank stand, I can't say for sure if it will or won't work. That is a risk you have to take.

*What I was trying to say is..You don't want the bottom glass to be touching anything. It needs to be able to give a little and it will with all of the gravel and water weighing it down. Especially if you go with a 50 gallon or larger. The only thing supporting the tank should be the rim. If you have a flat surface under the tank and the bottom glass bows a little and contacts the surface, it could break. That is why most tank stands made for rimmed glass tanks are hollow in the middle. The tanks are supported around the perimeter and that is all.

Just trying to save you some headache. I was in the same predicament as you when I first got my tank. Keep doing your homework and you'll be fine. :fish2:

Ok I understand what you meant now. :)

Still haven't made up my mind yet. Still looking for something that will make me go wow. :)

Thanks for all the tips.

Back
Top Bottom