FW 40g tank...need canister filter suggestions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I an going to buy a canister filter for my 40g breeder tank as soon as I can figure out which one to get. I am looking at the Eheim ECCO and the Fluval filters right now. Can anyone suggest which one to get, or have any other suggestions?

**I am also looking to put on a in-line heater

Many people suggest Eheim and Fluval canister filters, but I personally don't have much experience with them, I'm always driven away by the cost.

I currently use a Fluval 205 canister on my 26 gallon tank, and it's a great amazingly quiet filter. For a 40gal, if you're looking at Fluval I'd recommend a 305 to make sure you have plenty of turnover.

Some things to note about Fluval:

1. The filter only includes a "basic nozzle" output (which works fine for me) - but if you want a spraybar instead of a nozzle - I don't know if Fluval makes spraybars so you may need a 3rd party kit or DIY.

2. The filter comes with filter material included - but they expect you to put carbon in one of the 3 "baskets" - so if you wanna replace the carbon right away with more bio-media, you may want to buy a box of that in addition.

Other than that - I love it. I only take it apart once a month to rinse the sponges in tank water - and the AquaStop valve is great for that.

Yeah I was looking at the Fluval 305, but I am questioning the ribbed hoses. Do the hoses get clogged after a while?

How do you determine if the filter is powerful enough for your tank? Any general rules? I've herd so many times that a 40g filter is not good enough for a 40g tank. How do you decide which one to use, GPH?

Yeah I was looking at the Fluval 305, but I am questioning the ribbed hoses. Do the hoses get clogged after a while?

How do you determine if the filter is powerful enough for your tank? Any general rules? I've herd so many times that a 40g filter is not good enough for a 40g tank. How do you decide which one to use, GPH?

Getting any filter than can just handle the volume of a tank .. ex 40gal filter for a 40gal tank is asking for trouble ... it just doesn't move the water enough for effective filtration ... IMO.

A fluval 305 is more than enough for a 40gal Breeder. Generally you want a filter's GPH to be a minimum ... IMO... 5x + the volume of the tank.

With a 305, I suggest doing the bottom tray with Polyester Fill you can get at any arts / crafts store or walmart. It does an amazing job in capturing the micro debris that make it past the foam pads ... gives the water that extra polish. Polyfill is a great substitute for polishing pads they specifically make for the fluval 05 series ... much more cost effective ... a bag can last you months.

The middle and upper tray's can be biomax ... or some other ceramic rings. Skip the carbon in case you ever need it to remove meds from the water.

Getting any filter than can just handle the volume of a tank .. ex 40gal filter for a 40gal tank is asking for trouble ... it just doesn't move the water enough for effective filtration ... IMO.

A fluval 305 is more than enough for a 40gal Breeder. Generally you want a filter's GPH to be a minimum ... IMO... 5x + the volume of the tank.

With a 305, I suggest doing the bottom tray with Polyester Fill you can get at any arts / crafts store or walmart. It does an amazing job in capturing the micro debris that make it past the foam pads ... gives the water that extra polish. Polyfill is a great substitute for polishing pads they specifically make for the fluval 05 series ... much more cost effective ... a bag can last you months.

The middle and upper tray's can be biomax ... or some other ceramic rings. Skip the carbon in case you ever need it to remove meds from the water.

OK, and how is the 305 on noise? This is going to be in my bedroom and I would like the filter to be a quiet as possible.

Also, what in-line heater could I use with this filter?

I use a Rena and love it, comes with spray bar and jet nozzle, runs super quiet, I highly recommend!!!

OK, and how is the 305 on noise? This is going to be in my bedroom and I would like the filter to be a quiet as possible.

Also, what in-line heater could I use with this filter?

What noise? .... my fish make more noise than my 404 ... :lol:. It is mind boggling ... IMO ... how absolutely quiet mine is ... and a 305 .. from what I've read from other members is no different.

You can use any heater you want ... I use an Aqueon ... I think ... but your not limited by what heater you can use.

What noise? .... my fish make more noise than my 404 ... :lol:. It is mind boggling ... IMO ... how absolutely quiet mine is ... and a 305 .. from what I've read from other members is no different.

You can use any heater you want ... I use an Aqueon ... I think ... but your not limited by what heater you can use.

Good, I was worried about setting this up in my room. I am limited to a few heaters because I want it to be on the output of the filter. I know Hydor makes one. I just dont know if the hose that the 305 comes with will work.

Ahh, are you talking about an in-line heater? In that case you may have to do a lot of kludging to get the ribbed hoses to adapt to an in-line heater.

I don't use in-lines so someone with more experience would need to comment on that.

I have a fluval 305 on one 40b and an eheim 2224 on another. I really like certain things about both, but the 305 definitely has more flow. I'd recommend either for that tank.

Ahh, are you talking about an in-line heater? In that case you may have to do a lot of kludging to get the ribbed hoses to adapt to an in-line heater.

I don't use in-lines so someone with more experience would need to comment on that.

Yeah I'm trying to get this tank to look like nothings in it from the start.

Just bought a Eheim 2217 and the Hydor 200w 1/2in in-line heater. I got everything I needed on ebay for 175 shipped! I dont need to mod any of the tubing for the in-line heater, it just plugs into the original filter tubing.

Now I just need to figure out if I need a CO2 setup for my plants...Hopefully I get everything before the weekend

+1 ... an in-line might require some adjusting. I'm not sure what members have one ... I have a regular in tank heater ... but I still wouldn't think your limited by what heater you can use.

Back
Top Bottom