Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

So that noise came back, my mother in law called me to tell me the tank was making a loud humming sound. I come home an there's water shooting out of the canister!!

Where the top meets the main part. All knobs have been tightened down as much as possible. What could be causing this?

Water everywhere, what a mess. I just cleaned it the other day and cleaned the impeller etc.

Tech support is closed. I'm gonna take it all apart now.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only thing I can think of is the impeller!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait54
The only thing I can think of is the impeller!
I'm taking it apart again, I just found something. Not sure if this is the root of the issue. One of the clamps is stripped. It won't tighten down. Air getting in?

Water is coming out of that one side, also water all over the bottom of the stand. What a mess!! What a mess!! Off to Home Depot for a new nut and bolt do the clamp.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep I was gonna ask if you put the top on level. That's weird it stripped but ow well easy fix. I don't know if that's what making the noise though!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Yep I was gonna ask if you put the top on level. That's weird it stripped but ow well easy fix. I don't know if that's what making the noise though!
Yeah me either lol. Hopefully it's one in the same. I hope!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well maybe.... Since its not level cause of the raised side the impeller level maybe Tilted to one side and the impeller pressure is making the noise:
Old 09-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Wow, my used 80gal tank came with one of those canisters and we had the same problem, first the noise and then the clamp. Im quite leery of leaving the house for fear of a flood some day. I think Ill stick with the top filters.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Well maybe.... Since its not level cause of the raised side the impeller level maybe Tilted to one side and the impeller pressure is making the noise:
Yeah that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy1964
Wow, my used 80gal tank came with one of those canisters and we had the same problem, first the noise and then the clamp. Im quite leery of leaving the house for fear of a flood some day. I think Ill stick with the top filters.
Just fix the clamp and your good to go. It's not easy as I'm finding out its metric and a uncommon size. I'll make it work though.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

canister trouble

I must have a different problem as the part thats broken on my canister is plastic and is what holds the top on the unit.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy1964
I must have a different problem as the part thats broken on my canister is plastic and is what holds the top on the unit.
The little knobs? Because that's what it was with mine. The nut and bolt in inside the plastic knob stripped. I got a new nut and bolt and now it tightened down just fine.

Tags
fx5

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com