Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

G12 versus double ended HQI Metal Halides

Stats 90 gallon 48 inch reef tank with some polyps and xanthia in it. I want to be able to grow what ever i want.

I am currently looking at upgrading my lighting system when taxes come back. I could use some informed opinions on the following lights or I will listen to your alternatives. My main concern is the difference between the G12 and the double ended Metal Halides please let me know what ya think.

AquaticLife HID/T-5 Fixture with Lunar Lights
Aquarium Metal Halide Lighting: AquaticLife HID/T-5 Fixture with Lunar Lights

Marineland Pro Lighting 24-Hour Lighting System

Metal Halide Lighting: Marineland Marine Series Pro Lighting at Foster & Smith Aquatics

Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I would think the difference would be availability of G12 bulbs. I don't think there is anywhere near the choice of colors or manufacturers like there is for DE bulbs. I also never saw any PAR studies done on G12 bulbs, so I have no idea if they are good or bad.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I dont have a LFS in my area that carry's MH bulbs anyway so if i have a Blown bulb unexpectedly I would either have to order one off line or dirve 1 hour 30 mins to get one.

Are G12's new to the field ? Do you think Long term I might have a problem getting replacement g12's ? they seem much cheaper to replace than the double ended ones about 50% the price according to Dr Fosters and smith.

I want to do this right this is going to be a major investment for me.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I would stick to standard double ended (DE) or mogul base single ended (SE) bulbs. You have a huge selection of colors, manufacturers and distributors for them.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hqi, metal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com