G12 versus double ended HQI Metal Halides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stat

Aquarium Advice Regular
Stats 90 gallon 48 inch reef tank with some polyps and xanthia in it. I want to be able to grow what ever i want.

I am currently looking at upgrading my lighting system when taxes come back. I could use some informed opinions on the following lights or I will listen to your alternatives. My main concern is the difference between the G12 and the double ended Metal Halides please let me know what ya think.

AquaticLife HID/T-5 Fixture with Lunar Lights
Aquarium Metal Halide Lighting: AquaticLife HID/T-5 Fixture with Lunar Lights

dot_clear.gif
Marineland Pro Lighting 24-Hour Lighting System

Metal Halide Lighting: Marineland Marine Series Pro Lighting at Foster & Smith Aquatics

I would think the difference would be availability of G12 bulbs. I don't think there is anywhere near the choice of colors or manufacturers like there is for DE bulbs. I also never saw any PAR studies done on G12 bulbs, so I have no idea if they are good or bad.

Well I dont have a LFS in my area that carry's MH bulbs anyway so if i have a Blown bulb unexpectedly I would either have to order one off line or dirve 1 hour 30 mins to get one.

Are G12's new to the field ? Do you think Long term I might have a problem getting replacement g12's ? they seem much cheaper to replace than the double ended ones about 50% the price according to Dr Fosters and smith.

I want to do this right this is going to be a major investment for me.

I would stick to standard double ended (DE) or mogul base single ended (SE) bulbs. You have a huge selection of colors, manufacturers and distributors for them.

Back
Top Bottom