Gap between Aquarium and Stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drd77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I discovered this website after researching the above topic thoroughly on Google. Anyway, here's my situation:

I recently moved and thus had to move my aquarium as well (29 gallon). I bought a stand that I hated so I took it back and got the Manhattan Metal stand that Petco offers for a very cheap price. Last Thursday, I set everything up and moved my fish. Everything was fine until tonight when I noticed about a 2 mm gap or so where I could fit up to a quarter and then some in the middle of my aquarium and stand. The sides (corners) were relatively fine. After reading many forum posts on here and elsewhere I decided to adjust the stand and try and fix the gap. My aquarium is not the problem I know because I've had for over a year and there was no gap before.

I was able to do this but my question is how much of a gap is acceptable? I can no longer see the light going through the bottom or anything at all really. It appears that it is sitting on the stand everywhere now. But, I can slide a piece of paper through some parts. Am I being over critical here? Any help is appreciated as I live in an apartment and feel traumatized as this ordeal. Also, the stand is sitting on carpet(no choice). I made sure that the stand was level and then the tank was level as well sitting on the stand.

I'll cross my fingers now that my fish all survive after first being moved less than a week ago, and now having the whole tank's water changed after readjusting the stand...

All of my metal stands are that way. I think they are supposed to be. As long as the corners are supported it will be good. My 75 has been on an iron stand full for 4 years and I can still slide a piece of paper under the front edge, same with my 40 breeder.

This is common. Your stand is settling or in other word "conforming" to the weight.
Better the stand than the tank.
As far as all brand new water goes you should be OK. If you didn't change anything out in your filter, and dechlorinated properly the worst you may experience is a mini cycle. If even that depending on stock etc.

Test your water frequently (daily) for another week or so to see where your at with it.

Good luck with it.

What has been said above is untrue. The stand is not "conforming" to the weight. The tank does not touch in the center because the steel piece that spans is not straight. It is probable that it wasn't straight to begin with, as steel is seldom straight, or it is caused by the welding operation, or both. In a situation such as this, all the weight is being carried on the ends of the tank. So, while the tank is a very strong structure, essentially an open topped box beam, in my view supporting it along it's entire length is desirable. If the entire base is properly supported, there is less stress on the tank joints. The silicone needs only to withstand outward pressure, rather than outward and downward. To me this is worth fixing. I have a number of steel stands I fabricated, and with all the care I took in choosing straight material, I still ended up with a gap in the center beneath the tanks. Since the tanks were rimless in a couple of cases, I was placing them on a layer of styro which absorbed this difference. Now, the long edges are totally supported by the frame.
While it is true that there may never be any issues with the center unsupported, as most steel stands are this way, and there are lots out there without any issues, I don't believe it is the best practice. Wherever possible I like to take out any unnecessary stresses.

I have 5 metal stands all do the same thing, that is too large a sample for it not to have been designed that way. At least in my mind.

I have 5 metal stands all do the same thing, that is too large a sample for it not to have been designed that way. At least in my mind.

Clearly you didn't read what I said. However, I do appreciate that if all the stands you see are that way, you could come to that conclusion. I spent 30 years fabricating with steel, and even with my efforts to build a stand with no gap, I still ended up with 3 out of 3 with gaps. The 4 legs on a steel stand carry all the weight and they don't care how that weight is distributed. While the tank is strong enough to carry a load of water while supported only on the ends, I don't believe it to be the best way to do it, as over time the stress may lead to premature failure, or a minor mishap such as a bump or dropped rock could cause a fracture.

So if they all come out that way, and thousands and thousand have been sold and I have seen few if any tales of tanks failing on iron stands or any other stands for that matter (unless set up incorrectly), I would still say it is a matter of little or no concern.

The quality is referred to as "Made in China" :lol:

The same quality is made in the US or Canada. The problem is intrinsic to the material used, and that the commercial stands are made of the thinnest material possible. The fact that there are few failures, is more a tribute to the silicone that holds the tanks together than the integrity of the stand.

Thanks for all of the fast responses. I feel a little better now that everyone seems to have a similar story. I never knew that it would be so challenging to find a good fish stand! I think I'm going to leave it how it is now, although what Bill said about fabricating still makes me a little uneasy.

I have this stand for my 40 gal breeder, and have absolutely NO gaps...
My tanks rests firmly on all 8 attached cushioning pads. It wasn't designed this way, and it SHOULDN'T be this way. I would suggest exchanging it, ASAP

Ok guys, here are some pictures that I just took to give you a better understanding of where I'm at:

Attachments

• IMG_1988.jpg
    IMG_1988.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1997.jpg
    IMG_1997.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1998.jpg
    IMG_1998.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 200
Looks like it just needs to be leveled, the feet are adjustable. I had to do that with mine.
Nice tank btw.

Thanks! I don't have the feet on actually because I have it on carpet. I tried both ways and without the feet seemed the most level. Again, when making the adjustments to the stand the other night, I put a level on the stand and it was level. Then I put a level on the stand with the tank on it and it was also level. There's nothing else I can really do...

You have a nice setup too btw. What kind of fish do you keep?

Back
Top Bottom