Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Gap between Aquarium and Stand

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I discovered this website after researching the above topic thoroughly on Google. Anyway, here's my situation:

I recently moved and thus had to move my aquarium as well (29 gallon). I bought a stand that I hated so I took it back and got the Manhattan Metal stand that Petco offers for a very cheap price. Last Thursday, I set everything up and moved my fish. Everything was fine until tonight when I noticed about a 2 mm gap or so where I could fit up to a quarter and then some in the middle of my aquarium and stand. The sides (corners) were relatively fine. After reading many forum posts on here and elsewhere I decided to adjust the stand and try and fix the gap. My aquarium is not the problem I know because I've had for over a year and there was no gap before.

I was able to do this but my question is how much of a gap is acceptable? I can no longer see the light going through the bottom or anything at all really. It appears that it is sitting on the stand everywhere now. But, I can slide a piece of paper through some parts. Am I being over critical here? Any help is appreciated as I live in an apartment and feel traumatized as this ordeal. Also, the stand is sitting on carpet(no choice). I made sure that the stand was level and then the tank was level as well sitting on the stand.

I'll cross my fingers now that my fish all survive after first being moved less than a week ago, and now having the whole tank's water changed after readjusting the stand...

Old 07-20-2011, 04:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Here's the stand:PETCO Manhattan Metal Tank Stands - Aquarium Stands and Fish Tank Stands from PETCO.com

Old 07-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
All of my metal stands are that way. I think they are supposed to be. As long as the corners are supported it will be good. My 75 has been on an iron stand full for 4 years and I can still slide a piece of paper under the front edge, same with my 40 breeder.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

This is common. Your stand is settling or in other word "conforming" to the weight.
Better the stand than the tank.
As far as all brand new water goes you should be OK. If you didn't change anything out in your filter, and dechlorinated properly the worst you may experience is a mini cycle. If even that depending on stock etc.

Test your water frequently (daily) for another week or so to see where your at with it.

Good luck with it.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

What has been said above is untrue. The stand is not "conforming" to the weight. The tank does not touch in the center because the steel piece that spans is not straight. It is probable that it wasn't straight to begin with, as steel is seldom straight, or it is caused by the welding operation, or both. In a situation such as this, all the weight is being carried on the ends of the tank. So, while the tank is a very strong structure, essentially an open topped box beam, in my view supporting it along it's entire length is desirable. If the entire base is properly supported, there is less stress on the tank joints. The silicone needs only to withstand outward pressure, rather than outward and downward. To me this is worth fixing. I have a number of steel stands I fabricated, and with all the care I took in choosing straight material, I still ended up with a gap in the center beneath the tanks. Since the tanks were rimless in a couple of cases, I was placing them on a layer of styro which absorbed this difference. Now, the long edges are totally supported by the frame.
While it is true that there may never be any issues with the center unsupported, as most steel stands are this way, and there are lots out there without any issues, I don't believe it is the best practice. Wherever possible I like to take out any unnecessary stresses.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 5 metal stands all do the same thing, that is too large a sample for it not to have been designed that way. At least in my mind.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich311k View Post
I have 5 metal stands all do the same thing, that is too large a sample for it not to have been designed that way. At least in my mind.
Clearly you didn't read what I said. However, I do appreciate that if all the stands you see are that way, you could come to that conclusion. I spent 30 years fabricating with steel, and even with my efforts to build a stand with no gap, I still ended up with 3 out of 3 with gaps. The 4 legs on a steel stand carry all the weight and they don't care how that weight is distributed. While the tank is strong enough to carry a load of water while supported only on the ends, I don't believe it to be the best way to do it, as over time the stress may lead to premature failure, or a minor mishap such as a bump or dropped rock could cause a fracture.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have to same exact stand from Petco(but for 55gal) and that is how mine is.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

So if they all come out that way, and thousands and thousand have been sold and I have seen few if any tales of tanks failing on iron stands or any other stands for that matter (unless set up incorrectly), I would still say it is a matter of little or no concern.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

The quality is referred to as "Made in China"

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com