Gap between tank and stand is this something to be worried about 36 gallon bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oranda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i just bought a brand new 36 gallon seaclear bowfront. I noticed out of the box it seemed to not be quite flat on the bottom. It would rock when i layed it flat on the ground. When sitting on the stand it had nearly a 1/2 a inch gap on one corner. I was hoping when i filled it with water it would correct itself. It has improved but id say its at least a 1/4 inch on one side. I can slide a nickel under the front left corner.

Is this something that i should be worried about. Seaclear has no support. They dont have a websight yet and cant find any contact number where i can try to reach them.

Is this something that might flex and work itself out over the next day or so once its filled with water. My concern is the amount of stress on the edge i dont want it to crack or leak. I live on a second story floor and have hardwood floors it would become a real nightmare.

It's not normal. Are you sure it's the tank or could it be the stand? Either way you can't put pressure on it by having the weight on 3 corners. If you can't return it I would empty it, slide cardboard under it on the lifted side and refill.

Yeah its not the stand. I took a peice of dental floss and cant run it under the stand however i can run it under nearly HALF of the tank. Diagonally. Tanks half filled with water right now. I am thinking of draining all the water out right now im scared to go to bed and wake up with water all over the floor. I bought it from petco online and it looks like you are able to return their products to the store. I am scared to buy another plexiglass tank now.

The top of the stand might not be parallel to the bottom, the top piece could be bowed, that's what I meant. The bottom might be perfectly on the floor.

If you can return it I would, 100%.

Okay i drained the tank and put it on 2 other tables in the house i suspect are flat. Same gap on the bottom left. Then put it on the floor and same gap as well. turned it upside down and used a carpenters level its definitely the tank. Here are some pictures to show how serious it is. Its a lot lot worse than i thought it was. The string shows how far the gap goes under. And you can see how many coins i can fit under lol some of them are doubled stacked as well. I dont think ill buy a seaclear tank again.
img_1215471_0_4d0d8cecc0bc7a393c7e6136e16df50a.jpg

img_1215471_1_8fcd761cf55b4e4e91df42c9cf91dce8.jpg

If that's an acrylic tank, fill it up and watch the gap disappear. Acrylic can flex and it's difficult to get a large plastic object like a tank out of the mold without some warpage.

If it's a glass tank, that gap will be a problem.

If that's an acrylic tank, fill it up and watch the gap disappear. Acrylic can flex and it's difficult to get a large plastic object like a tank out of the mold without some warpage.

If it's a glass tank, that gap will be a problem.

That gap you see is with the tank filled up with water already. Its a lot worse when its empty. I slid all those coins under after it was filled and flexed down a bit. You think the gap will close itself over time?

I really wouldn't want to put that compression stress on the bottom or the expansion stress on the top for it to straighten. I'd just go return it and get a straight one. Acrylic can break, not often, but it can.

Yeah, BigJim nailed it. Print out a picture of that and take it with you along with the tank and your receipt! :) No sense in paying for something that has an obvious manufacturing defect.

Back
Top Bottom