Garage Sale tank - cleaning tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaggie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just picked up a $5 10 gallon tank from a neighbor's garage sale. It was used to house a lizard of some kind, any particular cleaning tips? I did water test it, seemed fine to me. Some crusting around the bottom. I know some things can stay in the silicone, did I waste $5 by getting this tank? :whistle:

You can fill it with bleach water, and let it set for several hours, then rinse well. Fill it again with a heavy dose of dechlorinator, let set a bit, and should be good to go. I've done this with all the used tanks I have acquired. Seems to work pretty well.

+1 to bleaching it. Give it a good scrub with a clean scrubby brush or toothbrush. Razorblades can help scrape any calcification off (just don't accidentally get the silicon). Bleach will kill almost anything lingering, and will mostly off-gas when dry or be removed by a dechlorinator if a small amount is still present after rinsing.

Great! I'd hoped I could use some kind of chemical, bleach makes sense as de-chlorinator should take care of any I might miss rinsing. Thanks for the advice!

Just know that the actual reptile tanks sold as reptile tanks are probably thinner glass than an aquarium, and the seal may not be as good. Give it a good inspection around the seals and see how it holds water. On a 10G it shouldn't be a big deal, but just so you know. Though frequently reptile keepers use fish aquariums because they are more readily available, and I think even, cheaper, especially for a small tank like that, so there is a good chance it was built for fish anyway.

Hmmmm....I didn't notice the tank looking thinner, but I'll have to check closer. I'm sure it was whatever was cheapest since it belonged to a kid. I'm mainly hoping to get it in good enough shape to use as a QT or backup/hospital tank if needed. Lol, not sure where in my tiny house I could set it up though....

Hmmmm....I didn't notice the tank looking thinner, but I'll have to check closer. I'm sure it was whatever was cheapest since it belonged to a kid. I'm mainly hoping to get it in good enough shape to use as a QT or backup/hospital tank if needed. Lol, not sure where in my tiny house I could set it up though....

Tank stand!!! 29G on top....more garage sale hunting adventures...for a new to you stand!

The reptile tank thing is just a heads up, surely more serious for those really huge tanks. Someone shared that info when I was looking for a larger tank, before that, I thought they were the all the same.

Lol! No stacked tanks in my house with two toddlers!! I had to bomb proof the stand for my 29 gallon so they can't get in.

I appreciate the heads up about the reptile tank thing....I have a dream that my next house I'll have a big tank and I'll likely be shopping on Craigslist if that does happen.

Most reptile tanks have a different style rim at the top. They are made to be able to slide a screen type top into a channel. Most 10g fish tanks will have the rim go all the way around as to set the hood inside the rim. Does that make since? That should help it identify if it is indeed an aquarium.

That does! I'll double check but I think it has what I'd consider a "regular" aquarium top so I should be good. Good tip, didn't think to check for that.

Back
Top Bottom