Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2005, 06:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to jersysman
The heater is coming on because on most heaters you can't trust what the dial says it is. You have to trust the thermometer. You might have to turn your heater down a bit until it stops coming on. The dial may say it is set for 75 degrees, however, the heater may be really set at 80. That is one bad things about heaters, especially heaters that may be on the lower end. It's trial and error at first until you get to know your heater.

VOTE NOW FOR AQUARIUM ADVICE!!!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I remember when submersable embo-jagers didnt have numbers! and were 60 bucks!!! LOL.. Im truly an old-timmer.. ..LOL

Old 06-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to wabyrd
Quote:
If the heater is overheating the tank, you need to turn it off
I agree. If it's overheating the tank, then it should be turned off.

Quote:
Why would you keep your heater on in the summertime anyways, its not like there is going to be a day when the temperature drops to 30 degrees.
Like you stated, the temperature of the tank will take on the temperature of the room. At night, when I turn the AC down, the room temperature is lower than the tank temp. The tank cools off. The heater kicks in to keep the tank a minimum of 78 degrees. It's possible for the tank to cool off to a temperature of AS LOW AS 75 degrees since that's the room temperature at night. The combination of tank lights an high room temperature during the day can heat the tank up to 80. I don't want those kinds of big temperature swings in my tank on a daily basis. The slow daily change between 78 and 80 is more acceptable than 75 to 80. So, yes, it is still understandable to keep the heater on in the summertime (even here in Texas 8O ). Especially in a smaller tank like a 10 or 20 gallon tank (a 10 gallon tank was mentioned in the original post) where the water can lose heat faster than a big tank. If he's setting his AC thermostat to 75 or so, the tank will likely cool to that temp and then rise to whatever temp the AC is set to while away (perhaps 80). A small body of water loses and gains heat much faster than a large body of water.
wabyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
wabyrd....thanks for elaborating for me...
Old 06-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to jschweg
Thanks everybody.

I'm slightly annoyed at this heater, I bought it for $20ish and it lists online for $29. Thermostat seems to be really off, didn't really think it was a POS.

I'll just turn it down until the light stops coming on and figure it out come winter.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Bhunsucker
Could be a defect in the unit. See if you can return it and get another one. I've got a 300watt Rena and so far it works great. Its right on the temp that I set it at.

Britt

55Gal FW Aquarium
AquaClear 110/500 Filter

45gal Clarity Plus Aquarium
Wet/Dry DLS Aquatics Filteration System
Bhunsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:32 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to wabyrd
Yeah, it's probably not a pressing issue since it's summertime, but I'd try to exchange it for a better heater like an Ebo Jager or something. I've had great luck with my Ebo's. They're reasonably priced too. I'm sure there are other brands that other readers could suggest.

wabyrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com