Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2005, 12:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to jschweg
General Heater Question

I have a quick question concerning aquarium heaters, I couldn't dig up any specific information concerning this issue. This is also my first aquarium, so I don't have any comparison.

I have a 50w All-Glass Aquarium heater (My tank is 10g), fully submersible, with a temperature dial on the top. I payed around 20 bucks for it, so it should be at least on the decent end as far as heaters go.

Being that it's the summer time, my tank water is sitting around 83 degrees according to my thermometer. The heater is set to 75 degrees. I've noticed that every 10-15 minutes or so, the indicator lamp in the heater turns on, stays on for about 15 seconds, and turns of again.

Being that the tank water is 83 degrees, why is the heater even turning on? Being that it stays on for a very short amount of time, and at a seemingly predictable interval, is this normal operation?

Old 06-20-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
that is normal operation if it was set to 83 degrees!!! try ignoring the numbers on it and lowering the temperature setting on it.. SLOWLY... untill you get down to your desired temperature.. 78-80 degrees in the case of most tropical fish.. but only lower the temperature 1-2 degrees a day.. it keeps stress down..

Old 06-20-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
that is normal operation if it was set to 83 degrees!!!
He said he set the temperature to 75 degrees. If I were you, I would turn the heater off because there is no need to keep it on anyways.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What im saying is the room temperature is probibly less than 78 degrees and the heater's temperature guage is off.. unpluging the heater could cause the temperature to crash to room temperature in less than a day or two stressing or possibly killing the fish..
Old 06-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is the temperature in the room and that would clear that question up..
Old 06-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I get what your saying, but I turned off the heater in one of my tanks when it was reading 82 degrees and the room temperature was 78 degrees and all my fish were ok. Its just like when you float fish in a bag to let temperature in the bag equalize with the temp in the tank it adjusts slowly.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Blazeherd2306....yes.. it also helps that your room temperature was 78 degrees.. mine is more like 75..
Old 06-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to jschweg
The actual temperature in the room is 80 degrees or above, my apartment gets pretty hot in the summer. I'm pretty sure that the water is 80 degrees due to the ambient temperature in the room. I've turned the heater down to 72 degrees and the water temperature does not drop, and the heater indicator light does not seem to come on very often.

That really stinks if the thermostat is off that badly.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to wabyrd
You guys are missing the point. Room temperature has nothing to do with it. His point is that the water temperature is 83 and the heater keeps coming on when it's set to 75 degress. It doesn't matter if the room is 50 or 100 degrees. Why is the heater coming on when the water temp is above the set temp. Perhaps the thermostat is WAY off on your heater, I don't know. Once you get it set properly (or buy a new heater) there is no reason to disconnect the heater in the summertime. I leave mine plugged in year round and it only HEATS when the water temp drops too low. Even the AC running in summertime can cool the tank down too much. Since my thermostat is set to 78, the tank lights keep the water warm when on, and at night when there are no lights, the heater might kick in for a few minutes here and there. My suggestion would be to trial your heater to figure out what the scale actually is or get a good quality reliable heater.
wabyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the heater is overheating the tank, you need to turn it off. Why would you keep your heater on in the summertime anyways, its not like there is going to be a day when the temperature drops to 30 degrees.

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com