Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
gen'l question re: going with eclipse hood vs nano cube

i need to combine 2 small planted tanks into one. i don't wantt to go any larger than 12 gal.

either i go with a 10gal (10.5x20in) with a eclipse 1 hood (plus a retrofit kit giving me 32watts).
this tank is clear all around, and has a nice length for the fish, and the filtration system doesn't take away 'fish space'

the 12 gal nano cube deluxe with 2-24watt bulbs.
this has a black back, and is more squat (hence the 'cube' designation), but frankly, i don't know how much 'real estate' the filter system takes up in the back of the tank.

any thoughts?

thank you!

maam2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
If I had to choose, I'd go with the nanocube. In my opinion, it just has a better design. The filter, from what I'ver read and heard, doesn't take up much space at all. You still get 12 gallons of swimming room in the tank, it's just about 5 inches deeper than the 10 gallon you are looking at. It also has better lighting. 48 watts will give you 4 WPG, as opposed to less than 3 WPG with the 32 watt Eclipse. It's just a unique design too. More unique than your basic 10 gallon tank.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may have to replace the bulb/bulbs in a Nanocube... I think some of them come with 50/50 bulbs like my Satellite strip did, and your plants won't be able to utilize the actinic part of the spectrum if that's the case. That said, I really like the design of the Nanocube and I've heard really good things about its lighting and filtration system. Plus you won't have to look at an intake tube like you would with the Eclipse system. Those Eclipse hoods are super expensive for what you get IMO.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

cube, eclipse, hood, nano, nano cube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com