Get LR, Remora Skimmer, or Coralife Lunar 4x65 PC Lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

My 55gal FOWLR has Normal Output florescents (30 watts), 15lbs Fiji LR, 40lbs base rock, and a cheap skimmer rated for a 30gal tank.

Obviously I need to upgrade certain things, but $$ is tight and its a work in progress. So my questions is, what should I get first?

Should I get:

1.) 70 more lbs. of LR from LR's.com to get the natural filtration going and this will result in better quality of water.

2.) Or an Aqua C Remora Skimmer, and ditch your existing skimmer that's only rated for a 30gal tank. This will help more with the quality of water.

3.) Get the Coralife Lunar 4x65 PC Lights. You should get the PC's first, then the LR, so the LR will have the least amount of dieoff. If you get the PC's, it will get your 15lbs of LR going good, and it will further seed your Base Rock that's been in there over a year (it already has coraline on it).

Ok, so I really want the Coralife PC's (cause I think that would be the most fun), but is this the best decision?

Help! Thanks...

If I were you, I would 100% get more rock. You already have a skimmer... and right now, you don't need PC lights since you have no corals (from what I gather).

More LR will help your tank mature faster, will increase water quality, and will provide more of a base for whatever corals you decide to get. Plus... it looks nice! :D 70 more pounds (could even get away with 60 lbs) would leave you ready & set for a good setup overall.

You could also go with a skimmer... that I'd put second. Lights are third. Just my .02

Can you smellalala what the "ROCK" is cooking? :) Seriously, you should get more LR. Upgrade to better skimmer and lights later should you decide to do a reef tank.

Like other said Rocks first. Skimmer if needed. Even though its rated for a 30 gal, if it's working you might not need to replace it.

You only need the "fancy" lights if you are going to have corals, clams, etc. that require it. For FOWLR the standard 30w lights are fine.

Back
Top Bottom