Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Getting Calcification Off Inside of 40 Gallon Tank

It's been a while since I've posted!

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 40 gallon Marineland Eclipse (with biowheel) tank, which went neglected after a horrible algae invasion. The water eventually evaporated out of the tank and left lines of calcification all over the glass that I cannot get off by a fish tank scrubbie pad or by scraping it gently with a razor blade.

I've cleaned the tank thoroughly with the appropriate dilution of bleach water and it's been rinsed well. How, though, can I get these lines of calcification off the inside glass walls of the tank? It's unsightly. See picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish Tank.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	76018  

Old 02-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Try soaking it in vinegar and water then scraping.Or soak some paper towels in straight vinegar and lay them on one side at a time for 10-20 mins and repeat scraping and wiping. The acidic vinegar usually dissolves the deposits.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ah, that's a great idea! Thank you -- it didn't even occur to me to try vinegar. I don't want to use any substance that could potentially harm the fish. Vinegar is a perfect suggestion.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Just be sure and rinse well after using the vingar solution, as residue will promote the growth of hair algae in your rebuild.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Just be sure and rinse well after using the vingar solution, as residue will promote the growth of hair algae in your rebuild.
Do you think it would worth another bleach water rinse, to rid the tank of the vinegar residue? Thanks for the heads up on that -- algae has been the bane of my existence with my tank. I do not want to promote any form of algae whatsoever.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I thought I would follow up with the results of the vinegar soak. Looks shiny and fabulous, doesn't it? Great, great advice -- thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aquarium01.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	77654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aquarium02.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	77655  

Name:	Aquarium03.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	77656  

Tags
40 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com