Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: I need a quiet canister filter for a 55 gallon and am on a limited budget. Should I get a:
Penn Plax Cascade 750 @ $55 + ship 1 5.00%
Marineland HOT Magnum 250 @ $65 (no ship) 1 5.00%
Marineland Magnum 350 @ $67 + ship 2 10.00%
Fluval 304 @ $75 + ship 6 30.00%
RENA filstar xp2 @ $80 + ship 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
i personally don't like fluvals ... more of a personal choice when i see them stacked up side by side when comparing them to Rena Filstars or even better Ehiems.

Filstars and Ehiem filters are my personal choices

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
It's looking like $85 (incl ship) for the fluval 304 from big al's, or $85 (incl ship) for the rena xp2. My lfs also has the xp2 on sale for $99, but I might as well save the $15+ and buy it online.

I am definitely leaning towards the xp2. Thanks for all the input!

-brent

Old 03-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipz
Yea, I was actually considering one of the magnum's for diatom filtering. Can anyone give me opinions on their magnums? How loud they are, and how long they have been using them?

So far it seems in the poll people are leaning towards the Fluval.

Thanks everyone!

-brent
I have a HOT magnum that with the bio-wheel. It is a great filter... quiet and does a good job.... i voted for that too by the way.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I just ordered the xp2 from Foster and Smith, it will be here in 5 business days!

That means I'm one step closer to upgrading to the 55 gal.

-brent
Old 03-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
You should be happy with your choice. I just hooked up an XP3 to my 50 gal and that thing is sweet action. I definitely recommend using the spray bar when you get it. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would anyone have an interest in me taking step-by-step pictures of setting up the filter? I have read about a lot of people saying it's many many parts and that setup was difficult. I love doing that kind of thing (and to be honest, part of my reason for ordering the rena over the fluval is that so many people complained about how hard it was to put together. lol).

I just wonder if it's hard enough that people would actually want me to make some sort of setup diagram, or if it's just that it's annoying to people to have to build so much of it... ?

-brent

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com