Getting new filter, xp3, will it clear driftwood tanin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristap

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have and am rather attached to a large piece of malaysian driftwood in my 48g which, besides softening the water, lends a bit of color to the water. There is a slight yellow tint. I have just made the plunge and ordered an XP3 canister filter and wonder if it could help clear up the water. The color is very slight and not really an issue but if there are some filter media options which would clear it up, I would like that very much.

Won't the AC mess with my GH or KH though? Seem to remember stumbling across recommendations to stay away from AC but my memory ...

AC will not mess with KH or GH, it may and the jury is still out on this, remove some traces from your water.

While AC will probably work the best for clearing up tannins, Seachem's Purigen can also do a nice job of clearing your water without affecting KH and GH although it may slightly reduce your NO3 levels. I really like the stuff myself and run it in both of the XP3s on my planted tank.

Try filter floss. This stuff works wonders IME. The polyester kind, usually found at fish shops in the filter media sections, though I've heard of buying it cheaper at knitting shops or something ? . ? . ?

Hey Travis,
Do you renew your Purigen? If so, how often and what do you use? just bleach?
Thanks!

Keep in mind that an XP3 on a 48g is going to seriously move some water. It might be too much current for the tank, but you'll have to see how it does. There is a valve to adjust the current on these filters, though, which you can utilize.

I am a fan of Purigen, myself, and use it in my 55 - renewed with bleach.

I belive the XP3 comes with a jet type output and a spray bar.

The spray bar will help dissipate the force of the water across a wider area.

TG - how many times can you/do you renew/reuse it?

I've tried renewing it using bleach as Seachem states on their site but, after 24 hours, mine was still pretty rough looking. It lasts quite a while and it doesn't bother me to have to replace it a couple of times a year :)

I have never renewed a batch more than once - like Travis, it is usually easier to just replace it.

I was worried about not having enough water movement in the tank and that led me to the XP3. It didn't occur to me that it might be too much but am glad to hear the flow is adjustable (whew). There is some slime algae getting comfortable in a back corner and I think the lack of flow back there is the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom