Getting started with ro/di system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's an Ro/Di you have your membrane up top and the canisters are in order your sediment filter followed by your carbon block then your Di resin canister. A fourth canister would mean you would have a 5 micron carbon block as 2nd canister followed by a .6 micron carbon block as third canister then the fourth would be the Di resin

RO units only require 2 canisters.. here's my 4 stage brs Ro/Di hooked up on my sink

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121004_212710.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121004_212710.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 60
Ah, now that I have a full size of it, I see the output water line coming out of the last canister, so that would be for DI. Mobile phone image fail :) Thanks MRC.

RO units only require 2 canisters.. here's my 4 stage brs Ro/Di hooked up on my sink

You could do an RODI system with just 2 canisters - an RO membrane and a DI canister, though it probably wouldn't be a good idea. The rest is dependent upon how much you want to preserve the RO membrane, and how hard your water is. You could add as many prefilters as you desire - the desired effect there is to reduce the amount of work your RO membrane has to do (because it is expensive to replace) by prefiltering the water with cheap carbon blocks and sediment filters.

fort384 said:
You could do an RODI system with just 2 canisters - an RO membrane and a DI canister, though it probably wouldn't be a good idea. The rest is dependent upon how much you want to preserve the RO membrane, and how hard your water is. You could add as many prefilters as you desire - the desired effect there is to reduce the amount of work your RO membrane has to do (because it is expensive to replace) by prefiltering the water with cheap carbon blocks and sediment filters.

True but the standard right now is a sediment filter followed by a carbon block in almost every system so pretty much every setup will have the 2 main canisters

I have the membrane one on top and the three on the bottom. Although they are empty I was going to get the sediment carbon and do filters for them probably some time this weekend

Sounds like a plan. BRS has some good prices on DI resin and filters, especially if you get in on a group buy.

alright I just reposted the BRS Group buy thread. Mrc, I deleted our OT posts so we don't hijack Debs thread :)

if it helps, I can describe it better:

there is a black like coming into #1 sediment (leftmost), it has a short black line going directly to #2 carbon block.
#2 has a line coming out if the back going into the top one (membrane). the top one has two out lines, a white line and a black line. the white line goes "out" to nowhere (has a little connector thingy, then another short line), the black line goes to the rear of #3 di. front of #3 has a blue line going "out" to nowhere.

from my youtube adventures, the black line out of the top one can be connected to a flush kit right? otherwise this is the "discarded" water. the blue hose coming out of #3 is the new clean ro/di water.

am i understanding this correctly?

Yes that sounds right though you need a flush valve to hook up a flush kit.

yes that's correct. I just want to make sure I have the correct understanding.
:)

Can someone please tell me the name of the part I need? It's the piece that screws onto the faucet or water hose to being in the water. I spent 20 minutes in lowes and 10 minutes of a guy talking to me like I don't know what color the sky is.....

My LFS sent me there because they were out of the piece.

No.....but I could use that too. That's from the sink which I don't have a problem with. The other piece I'm talkin about screws into the cold water spigot and the line goes into it

Alright, I'm good to go. What I found wasnt a 100% exact match, it's a metal piece instead of plastic, but everything hooks up. gonna install the filters and process about 5 gallons or so as recommended

I have one more question. If I remember reading/viewing somewhere I will produce 3:1 ration of dirty:clean water, right? when I cut on the water, the first two canisters filled then the membrane, the di canister I thought wasnt working but I now notice it's filling a little slower. That is normal, correct?

What is happening? Not quite sure what you are asking.

3:1 is about right.

Yes its normal.. the DI canister will not fill up all the way like the others

Back
Top Bottom