Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Getting started with ro/di system

someone is selling one on craigslist and says it needs new filters. Are the filters expensive and/or hard to get? is this a good deal? I'd like to get it if it's worth getting

I-TEC RO\DI System

Old 10-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go on marinedepot.com and see how much filters are. Sometimes you can get a new system for $200 that will include everything...
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

heres a link where you can get all three filters.. They are around 22 bucks.. if you need the ro membrane, which is in that tube on the top of the unit,Add another 40-50 bucks for that too..I just bought a used one and replaced filters/fittings.. Added pressure gauge and flush kit, TDS Meter.. In the end i should have just bought a brand new one from BRS .. It would have cost me about the same with alot less work..lol.. Bulk reef supply sells i very nice 4 stage setup that i should have bought.. Check them out

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-r...ilter-kit.html
Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So with just this piece is it not a good price?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

well.. its a very basic model..The better units come with a pressure gauge and a tds meter which at the very least i would say you need a tds meter to tell you when your water is starting to get dirty..The pressure gauge also help let you know when your filters are getting dirty because your pressure drops..The unit you are looking at has neither of those so you have no idea what is going on with the purity of your water or how dirty your filters are .. So if you buy that for $50, then $22 or so for 3 filters , your at $72. RO membrane $30-40 dollars =$110..and you dont even know yet if you need a new RO membrane. which if you buy the unit on Craigslist you have no tds meter on it so you wont know if you need a membrane for it or not.... That bulk reef supply link i posted has a 4 stage 75 GPD ro/di unit on sale right now for 152.00 and has everything you would need..i wish it was on sale when i bought my used one of Craigslist.Ive spent $90 on my used one then bought the flush kit and pressure gauge for $30, new fittings $20 dollars (old ones were leaking) = $140 and i still need all 3 filters for 22 dollars..lol.. So if i had to do it over again ,just buy new. You never know what your getting used..

Ohh yaa How many GPD is the one for sale on CL that you were interested in?
It didnt say in the add at all
I wouldnt waste my time with anything under 75 GPD
Old 10-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think 75. I knowing gonna spend more money for other parts and right now I don't care if its basic. If I don't use it for me I can put this one in moms house for her tanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I would strongly recommend buying a 5 stage plus system from BRS. You want the ability to flush the membrane, you need a TDS meter, and you need an PSI gauge. Without the instrumentation it is impossible to really know when you need to change the filters. Plus, with a used system, you cannot know the condition of the RO membrane. It is just too much of a gamble.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If it matters, I change other filters in the house on a regular basis before they get dirty just to be safe.

Is this not 5 stage? Is this one not sufficient? I will get another membrane if I have to, that's not an issue
Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

No idea, the link doesn't work.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ro/di, started, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com