Getting started with ro/di system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcdebb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
someone is selling one on craigslist and says it needs new filters. Are the filters expensive and/or hard to get? is this a good deal? I'd like to get it if it's worth getting

I-TEC RO\DI System

Go on marinedepot.com and see how much filters are. Sometimes you can get a new system for $200 that will include everything...

heres a link where you can get all three filters.. They are around 22 bucks.. if you need the ro membrane, which is in that tube on the top of the unit,Add another 40-50 bucks for that too..I just bought a used one and replaced filters/fittings.. Added pressure gauge and flush kit, TDS Meter.. In the end i should have just bought a brand new one from BRS .. It would have cost me about the same with alot less work..lol.. Bulk reef supply sells i very nice 4 stage setup that i should have bought.. Check them out

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-...ge-ro-di-standard-replacement-filter-kit.html

well.. its a very basic model..The better units come with a pressure gauge and a tds meter which at the very least i would say you need a tds meter to tell you when your water is starting to get dirty..The pressure gauge also help let you know when your filters are getting dirty because your pressure drops..The unit you are looking at has neither of those so you have no idea what is going on with the purity of your water or how dirty your filters are .. So if you buy that for $50, then $22 or so for 3 filters , your at $72. RO membrane $30-40 dollars =$110..and you dont even know yet if you need a new RO membrane. which if you buy the unit on Craigslist you have no tds meter on it so you wont know if you need a membrane for it or not.... That bulk reef supply link i posted has a 4 stage 75 GPD ro/di unit on sale right now for 152.00 and has everything you would need..i wish it was on sale when i bought my used one of Craigslist.Ive spent $90 on my used one then bought the flush kit and pressure gauge for $30, new fittings $20 dollars (old ones were leaking) = $140 and i still need all 3 filters for 22 dollars..lol.. So if i had to do it over again ,just buy new. You never know what your getting used..

Ohh yaa How many GPD is the one for sale on CL that you were interested in?
It didnt say in the add at all
I wouldnt waste my time with anything under 75 GPD

I think 75. I knowing gonna spend more money for other parts and right now I don't care if its basic. If I don't use it for me I can put this one in moms house for her tanks.

I would strongly recommend buying a 5 stage plus system from BRS. You want the ability to flush the membrane, you need a TDS meter, and you need an PSI gauge. Without the instrumentation it is impossible to really know when you need to change the filters. Plus, with a used system, you cannot know the condition of the RO membrane. It is just too much of a gamble.

If it matters, I change other filters in the house on a regular basis before they get dirty just to be safe.

Is this not 5 stage? Is this one not sufficient? I will get another membrane if I have to, that's not an issue

He probably has removed the ad I will take a picture of it when I get home

i've been doing alot of youtube and google for the last hour. it looks like i'm 4 stage. I know I need filters for sediment, carbon and di, dont know about membrane. I will take that out and look tomorrow. I'm also going to check out my favorable LFS and see what they have. I'm sure they will have most of what I need.

I'm really excited to get this setup, and I'll probably set it up in the laundry room :)

aaaaand of course someone has a 5 stage on CL for $50, complete with the pressure gauge. I guess I missed it because I didnt know what to look for. I'm learning tho. If I can snag it, I will install the first one in mom's house for drinking water. we have well water at both of our homes and sometimes it's not so clean :(

5 STAGE RO/DI reduced to $ 50.00 CASH

This does not look like a DI system - only RO. A DI stage would be connected After the RO stage.

fort384 said:
This does not look like a DI system - only RO. A DI stage would be connected After the RO stage.

Wait which one are u talking about the pic I posted or the ad I just posted?

I was talking about your pic. But maybe you just didn't include the DI canister in the pic? The other (from the ad) appears to have a dual membrane setup, a sediment filter and a carbon block? Not ideal but it will give you 0 TDS water... 50 is a good price if there is life left in the membrane a/o DI resin. From the pic though it looks like the DI resin is spent...

What's in the pic is all I have. But I'm still confused. Is what I have not a 4 stage ro/di? I thought that extra canister that is separate makes it 5 stage?

I see 3 canisters for prefilters and an RO membrane on top. DI requires another stage after the RO membrane.

Unless one of those canisters is plumbed in after the ro membrane?

Back
Top Bottom