Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

GFO Reactor

Im looking at getting a reactor to lower or completely get rid of my phosphates. My phosphates sit around 0.25ppm for the most part. I have R/O unit with filters and membranes changed in december 2013. My light cycle is 6hrs and i still get bad hair algae outbreak every few months. I do 10gal WC every week.

I don't know much about reactors. My tanks is 40gal total between DT and sump. What kind of reactor would I need and what media for it. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Is your unit an ro or is it ro/di? Ro doesn't always remove everything from the water source, such as phosphates.
In terms of reactors, the BRS reactors are pretty solid. I would look at the single unit as the dual sometimes have trouble getting gfo to tumble correctly, since gfo needs to have a 'light boil' of flow through it. You could run gfo, or other products in the reactor that remove phosphates like phosban or phosguard.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

it is ro/di. I'll look at the single on BRS site. Its well with in my price range. As I have never used a reactor how would it connect to my system. Would it go in or outside the sump and does it need a pump?
Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It needs a pump and a valve. They are mounted outside the sump.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'll take a picture of mine so you can get a good idea of things if you need, but it is exactly what Greg said. BRS used to sell a combo set of a reactor, pump, and ball valve if I remember correctly.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com