Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2010, 12:09 AM   #11
Sliced Bread

no size limit, but as always in this hobby bigger is better

Old 03-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
is back to save the day!

Indeed. I'll have to see what i've got to work with. But something is better than nothing right? The fuge might be a little less than half of the 10G. I'll just put up two baffles to slow the water flow down a bit.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
Sliced Bread

Yes, anything is better than nothing, i absolutely agree.

The baffles won't help, though. When we talk about flow in a fuge we're not talking about velocity, we're literally talking about the amount of turnover of water. If your pump is pushing 700gph, baffles aren't going to slow that 700gph down, it's still 700, it just doesn't have as much force behind it.

I'm not saying 700gph is too much for a fuge, btw, just illistrating the point. Most of us like a slower moving fuge because it allows more contact time for the water to be with the macro algaes, allowing the algaes time to actually consume the nutrients better. I don't know that there's a magic flow rate for contact time in a fuge, but for me my fuge runs at about 100-150gph, and I'm able to control that due to my setup. You're a little more restricted, just based on available space, so I don't think you can achieve that - but still, like I said initially, anything is better than nothing.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
is back to save the day!

Great point. Then i'm not sure what i'll do. I may just not have the benefit of having a fuge, and all i'll be able to have is just a sump for the heaters and the extra water volume.

In your opinion, do you think there would be any way for me to have the best of both worlds without having to do a HOB fuge? Or does it look like it's just going to be a sump for me.. considering the tank size.

Tags
glass, holes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com