Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Glass lid. Air exchange. Want to avoid excess Noise

Good morning. This will be my second post on AA, and based on the first, I am pretty confident I will find some good answers here.

In an effort to reduce evap, control splash, and have a lid that can be cut for equipment on back, I purchased a perfecto glass canopy. (2 panes, length wise with a plastic/rubber hinge, and a 3" of plastic in the back to cut for equipment)

Since I am still cycling (waiting for 'trites-->'trates), I don't have any fish that would indicate where I stand on O2 levels (is there a non-fishy test for this?).

Since this lid fits so nicely with a minor gap in the front, and cut outs are pretty well fit, can I expect an 02 issue here? Check out pictures...

I have plants, but I also know at night, they won't contribute o2, only consume...

So: I want to make sure my fish will be healthy, but I would also like to avoid a noisy air pump, especially since my set up is nearly silent now with a fluval canister and some surface agitation.

One idea I have was to maybe punch a few holes in the plastic? Maybe glue short sections of rubber piping on the ledge the lid rests on (to elevate and break the seal)?

Aside from not wanting noise, I want to keep the amount of hardware in my tank as low as reasonable. Plus, a rock or pipe spewing bubbles doesn't strike me as having a "natural" look to it....

Oh, would love an inexpensive solution.... I am already completely in the dog house over how much I have already spent on my set up, and I haven't even bought fish.

Pics of the tank, and the cut outs I have for equipment. (Outlet and intake are cutout pretty much the same)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-970058891.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	174323   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1394800902.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	174324  

Old 05-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Some help please...

Also... Since I got the glass, last night, my temp rose 2 degrees from 80" to 82...

Old 05-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The surface agitation from the output nozzle should give you a good gas exchange. I don't think you have to worry about it.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

+ you'll cut your heating costs

Tags
air, glass, noise

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com