Glass lid. Air exchange. Want to avoid excess Noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RHCPeppers85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning. This will be my second post on AA, and based on the first, I am pretty confident I will find some good answers here.

In an effort to reduce evap, control splash, and have a lid that can be cut for equipment on back, I purchased a perfecto glass canopy. (2 panes, length wise with a plastic/rubber hinge, and a 3" of plastic in the back to cut for equipment)

Since I am still cycling (waiting for 'trites-->'trates), I don't have any fish that would indicate where I stand on O2 levels (is there a non-fishy test for this?).

Since this lid fits so nicely with a minor gap in the front, and cut outs are pretty well fit, can I expect an 02 issue here? Check out pictures...

I have plants, but I also know at night, they won't contribute o2, only consume...

So: I want to make sure my fish will be healthy, but I would also like to avoid a noisy air pump, especially since my set up is nearly silent now with a fluval canister and some surface agitation.

One idea I have was to maybe punch a few holes in the plastic? Maybe glue short sections of rubber piping on the ledge the lid rests on (to elevate and break the seal)?

Aside from not wanting noise, I want to keep the amount of hardware in my tank as low as reasonable. Plus, a rock or pipe spewing bubbles doesn't strike me as having a "natural" look to it....

Oh, would love an inexpensive solution.... I am already completely in the dog house over how much I have already spent on my set up, and I haven't even bought fish.

Pics of the tank, and the cut outs I have for equipment. (Outlet and intake are cutout pretty much the same)

Attachments

• image-970058891.jpg
    image-970058891.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1394800902.jpg
    image-1394800902.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 89
The surface agitation from the output nozzle should give you a good gas exchange. I don't think you have to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom