Glass Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

viks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All.

I'm looking to upgrade my current 75G, it a Jebo R3100 which i'm not a big fan of anymore. I'm stuck with CF lights, and I really want to start a good reef tank. My question is, could you recommend some really good quality glass tanks, around 75-100G. Also I'm gonna have a overflow to a small sump that I will place under the tank.

Also, i'll be wanting a nice hood which i can then have either VHO o r Metal Hallide lights, any thoughts on the hood and the light setup.

Thanks very much.
Vikash

Most people today are leaning towards HOT5 fixtures with individual reflectors. They provide enough light to keep any type of coral. Unless you want clams on the bottom of a tank that is 24" or taller they will be a great option.

Bigger is better. If you can go 6' long, get a 125. If you are stuck with 4' length there are 4' tanks that are 110, 120, 150, and even 200 gallons.

It is VERY important though to stick to a tank that is small enough that you can afford to do it right. I have seen many people get big tanks cheap on craigslist or save up and buy a big tank, but then they can't afford a proper lighting system, filtration, skimmer, enough live rock, etc. A properly setup tank will run better than a larger tank that is not setup as well.

Are you wanting a reef?

FYI my tank has 4x96 watt compact fluorescents on it and I have SPS, clams, etc. With enough of them you can get enough light in the tank. But HOT5 fixtures with individual reflectors are a better buy if you are buying new.

Thanks.

Yeah agree with you about tank size and setting it up correctly. That's why I want to stick to the same size, ad do it right. Any suggestions on where to buy the tank and hood from.

Thanks for the help.

Any LFS should be happy to get one in for you. You can get it with overflows built-in or do it yourself. I prefer DIY (or pay someone) because you can have a much slimmer overflow (just bulkhead with a PVC elbow coming out). Overflow boxes are just a pain IME, they are hard to deal with, take up space, etc.

Many LFSs will drill the tank for you (for a fee, and usually at your risk). If not there may be an aquarium service company that can do the same thing (and if in your budget deliver and install it for you).

Get a glass canopy. This will let you have any lighting you want. I don't have any top on my reef, I want as much light as possible to make it into the water and to the corals. Some people use eggcrate to let heat out (usually only an issue with metal halide lighting) and still keep most fish in.

Thanks.
Is there a specific brand to go for? I do want to get a glass tank as I feel it will scratch less...or would you suggest a acrylic over glass?

cheers

I hate acrylic. It scratches way too easily. No point in buying it.

All Glass Aquariums is now Aqueon, which is good. Perfecto is now Marineland, also very good. Go with one of these and you shouldn't have an issue. Make sure you get the same brand glass canopy because they don't always fit the other brand right. Betweem the two I would go with Marineland but only because I like the handle on their glass canopies better (that is how close the two companies are). Any shop should be able to get you at least one if not either one. Both should show the tanks they manufacture on their websites so you can pick what you like.

Marineland tanks, at least around here, are cheaper as well. I don't like buying new tanks though. I've bought one new tank, and it was recently. I felt like I was being robbed. I paid $225 for my 150g on craigslist. I paid $325 for my 40 breeder new. See what I mean?

You did get robbed on the 40 breeder, they should only be about $90.

In my opinion and experience a new tank is worth the extra money. I have heard way too many horror stories about used tanks. The water damage from just a 10 gallon leaking can be more than the cost of a new 180. Yes, there are many people out there who have nothing but used tanks and had no issues, but from what I have seen it is worth it to get a new, clean, unscratched tank.

Back
Top Bottom