Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
glass tank issue

Somehow a split formed in the plastic rim around the top of the tank... Water slowly collects in the split and drips down the outside of the glass, leaving a residue... Whats the best way to fix this?

Sry if the pic is sideways...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120222_231224.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	78505  

OsciTheOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
You can buy a new frame for it but I think you'd have to empty the tank. Not 100% on that though

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Wouldn't need to fully empty the tank, half way or a bit more would suffice. There are two ways to fix this.

The right way: Get a new frame and replace the old cracked one. ( See youtube videos on how to do this ).

The bandage way: Drain some water and use a bit of epoxy to mend the crack ( JB weld works good for this ). You will need to use a clamp to hold the frame tight until the epoxy cures.
Zaedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Lower your water level to just below the plastic ledge inside the tank. That will prevent the water from wicking out of the tank.If you want you can seal the crack but that may not stop the leak. Many new tanks with good trim will wick water out because the top trim is not completely sealed to the glass.
Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks ppl!
OsciTheOscar is offline   Reply With Quote

glass, glass tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com