Glass tank lid removal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Djangom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 46" by 28" by 12" glass in the wall tank. It was made 10 years ago by somebody else. The problem is that they placed a glass lid glued to the top w silicone w a ridiculously small 19"x9" opening. The glass lid is made up of a few strips of glass pieced together and cemented w clear silicone. It does not look easy to remove. I want to light this tank to make it a reef tank. (I dont think the extra 1/2 inch of glass will help w the lighting!). I would like to take it off and replace it w some small strips. Is there a good method for doing this. A solvent?

I really do not want to drain all the water out either if possible! I can take out 50% for the removal and then put it back in later.

Help!

Here are some pics.
Thanks for the input!!!!

Attachments

• image-1613946344.jpg
    image-1613946344.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 149
  • image-1703761740.jpg
    image-1703761740.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3727953288.jpg
    image-3727953288.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 125
Wow, that's some thick glass! Someone went way overboard when they built that tank. I don't know enough about that stuff to say one way or the other, but it looks like the glass is thick enough to support without those braces.

Those glass strips look like they are braces. I'd advise you leave atleast one on but the best way to remove it is with a razorblade and guitar strings :) good luck

It is mega thick. I was thinking of taking off one side and placing a bracing strip, then doing the other side.

Do you know the best way to release the top without killing myself? or is it just get a wedge under an edge and slowly work it up? The glass wants to chip when I started that though.

:)

If submarines had windows, that's what they would use. I stil can't believe how thick that is. That had to be a mega tank plan fallen through.

Oh ok. Thanks Ibrahim. I guess I'll slowly work at it. If I can at least get the left side off I'll be happier.

Djangom said:
Oh ok. Thanks Ibrahim. I guess I'll slowly work at it. If I can at least get the left side off I'll be happier.

Np. The guitar strings help cut through the silicone without the chance of chipping your tank. Just saw through it but shavings of silicone may get into your tank.

I agree with the above. That appears structural and you may or may not need it. I would drain the tank at least partially, and then use the guitar string idea Ibrahim mentioned. i would then think of something to use as a center brace In the place of all of that thick glass. A border of glass around the perimeter might suit you, which has also been mentioned, and is called Euro bracing.
tankprofile.jpg

I got it off w a really thin putty knife. For some reason the guitar strings wouldn't really do it. ( I used the hi E). I'm placing bracing around the edges and it seems fine. I think the glass is so thick it doesn't even matter!!!

Djangom said:
I got it off w a really thin putty knife. For some reason the guitar strings wouldn't really do it. ( I used the hi E). I'm placing bracing around the edges and it seems fine. I think the glass is so thick it doesn't even matter!!!

Wow that's a some really strong silicone. I don't think you will need the bracing but over time the tank will bow so it's better to add a brace

Back
Top Bottom