Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-18-2015, 01:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Glass top advice

Getting supplies and equipment for an older Odell 30g tank I acquired. I need/want to do a glass top. My LFS has an Aqueon versa top that seems like it'll fit for $35. I'm just now getting into the hobby and still learning. But is this a good top for a good price or are there different avenues I can take?

Thanks for any and all advice

Jdfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
You should measure the opening of the tank top and check these guys out for a glass top: Fish Tank and Aquarium Stand, Marine Aquarium Kit and Aquarium Furniture – Drs. Foster & Smith
the measurements of the glass tops (Versa tops and Marineland) are pretty exact, so when you measure take that into consideration before purchasing. Marineland and Aqueon tops vary slightly so check out both brands to find the best fit.

You can also make a screen top; for example, here is a DIY frame kit: Custom DIY Window Screen Kits
You will also need some 1/4" screen netting (cut to fit): Clear Aquarium Screen Netting 1/4" | Aquarium Fish Tank DIY Sceen Top

dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Or buy some glass at the hardware store (Lowes) and have them cut it to size for free. You can even have it cut into multiple sections, one piece for under the light and one to lift off the front for feeding. Take it one step further by running then smoothing a silicone bead across one side of the two pieces laying together to make a silicone hinge.
Narkul is offline   Reply With Quote

advice, glass, glass top

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com