Glass vs Acrylic ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heeljeff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi...I'm in the first stages of starting a reef aquarium (i.e. I have no clue) and was wondering if anyone has preferences for glass over acrylic or vice versa. Aspects of cost and ease of use are probably the main issues. I'd like to do a lot more research first but our new PetCo is having a grand opening this weekend and glass aquariums are 25% off.
Thanks a lot!!

It is mostly personal preference. Glass is less expensive by far, and easier to find. You usually have to order an acrylic tank. You also have to be more careful cleaning acrylic, it will scratch easier than glass. Either way, make sure you get a tank large enough for a reef setup (the bigger the better) as well as a good filtration system and protein skimmer and especially lighting. Honestly, you can get the tank/stand from a large chain store (Petco, Petsmart etc), but I would go to a LFS or look on Ebay for the filtration, skimmer and lighting. The large chains dont carry very good units. If you are going to use an under the tank filtration system (wet/dry sump), make sure the stand youre getting will have room for it inside. There is a book called the Conscientious Marine Aquarist, which is very informative when youre just getting started. Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot! I'm going to try and run to Barnes and Noble and see if they have the book you mentioned or others. I haven't been to a LFS yet, but will have time this weekend.

Here is a question that I need to find an answer to. I am plaining on having a 300-400 gallon shark tank. Should I go with Galss or Acrylic? I have read that sharks have been nick named Tank Busters.

Which way do you guys think I should go?

Thanks

my suggestiong is ordering your supplies (filter/lighting/etc) online, as they are way less expensive than retail stores. I purchased an XP2 unit for $70 online and everywhere else had them for $130+, my LFS had the unit for $99 + tax.

Here is a question that I need to find an answer to. I am plaining on having a 300-400 gallon shark tank. Should I go with Galss or Acrylic? I have read that sharks have been nick named Tank Busters.

Which way do you guys think I should go?

For a larger tank acrylic is the way to go, less chance of a leak.

I was thinking arcylic for wait reasons to. But if I spend that much on setting up a 300 gallon tank. I am doing it right with NO skimping on it. Not that I skimp on any thing now.

Acrylic scratches way easier, but is clearer and lighter. Also costs a lot more. Glass is heavier, not as strong, almost as clear, but way way cheaper. If you are going to keep a huge tank then I would go for acrylic.

Back
Top Bottom