Glue for flex PVC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwatersmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will the regular all purpose PVC cement work on flex PVC or do you have to get that special glue?

Thanks
Stephen

Flex PVC, do you mean the corrugated black plastic tubing with the super hard cord in it that you cant cut in a straight line to save your but?

generally speaking no...

they have compression fittings that will convert it to a pvc thread which you can then get a threaded adapter to glue onto.

Flex PVC is clear and has some braided cord in it for strength. I have never used glue only pressure fittings with hose clamps.

Ah that type of plumbing (Tubing) first time ever heard it called pvc. But yeah, hose clamp the thing to the barbed fitting and throw some pipe dope on all threaded fittings to prevent leaks. Only use the pvc cement or solvent on the smooth slip fittings.

I may be wrong in calling it flex PVC. I fairly sure they call it SpaFlex at Lowes or Home Depot. What I have seen is white. It works with standard Schedule 40 PVC fittings without using the barbs.

yes you can use regular pvc cement. But be carefull as the bond is not as strong as it would be if you were glueing regular shd. 40 PVC into fittings.

Oh, the plot thickins. I'll have to go down to the hardware depot to check this out shure would of made life a little easier.

Thanks brndfrb. Yeah lemonheadmech, I bought some of the braided pvc that uses the barb type fittings. It takes a lot of work to get where you need to. You have to use a size larger pipe than necessary because the barbs reduce the I.D. down so much. I saw some piping at the LFS with this spaflex. It makes a much easier and cleaner looking job. The guy at LFS said he used regular cement but I feel better getting second opinions :D

OH man if your using that black or white plastic corrigated tubing beware. Only use like an aquarium silicone sealer with a hose clamp on that stuff. It leaks without it. I dont like using that stuff anymore because i had it going from my overflow to the sump and the sucker craked in the middle and made a big mess.

Back
Top Bottom