Gluing acrylic to glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking of buying a 30-40 gal tank to use as a sump/fuge. I would like to add baffles and a fuge chamber by gluing acrylic pieces inside.

Has anybody tried this? Suggestions? Thanks all!

I thought about it, but went to my local True Value hardware store, they cut the baffles out of glass for me, $1.99 per baffle. Couldn't beat the price.

The only thing I can think of that would probably hold glass and acrylic is epoxy. Do not waste your time with silicon.

2020, what did you glue glass-glass with?

Thanks Brenden, I'm a big epoxy guy. Use it often for knife handles.

That sounds like a much cheaper method of building my sump. Acrilic is about $180/sht for .25" stuff.

I can get a 37 gal glass tank and some panes cut for far cheaper.

If it was me for the $ I would do glass. The only thing nice about my acrylic sump is I can cut holes and put bulkheads in anytime I want to add or change things.

runway1 said:
I can get a 37 gal glass tank and some panes cut for far cheaper.

Will a 37 gal fit in a 55 gal stand? They are 12” wide most of the time and I thought that was too much? I’ve measured mine and its right at 12” but with the center bar in the back I can’t imagine trying to get a 37 in there.

Yep, just use silicon. I bought the 'aquarium safe' stuff, you can get if from fish stores, I've even seen it in the fish section at walmart. Or, use GE Silicone 1.

:D Now I get it, I wish I could get a 37 gal in my 55 :roll: Sorry I missed that. Congrats on the bigger tank!

I built a sump out of a 30 gallon glass aquarium and acrylic baffles. I used clear silicon bought from home depot and have had no problems for over a year now. I am not sure why they say you can't silicon glass to acrylic? Worked fine for me.

Is that right?? Maybe I'll glue up a test piece and bend it around a bit.

Running fine for a year, huh? Good thing is the bond itself will not be taking much load so..... :| :|

The reason "they say" not to use silicon is that it will not bond to acrylic. As long as there is not much pressure against it, the bond on the glass will hold the acrylic in place but if you have different water levels in different compartments it will not hold. There will also be some leaking between the silicon and acrylic but that would not be a issue in a sump.

I'm thinking the same thing, Brenden. Leaks won't be detected and the load on the joints is minimal although, if I'm going to take the time and money to build my own - which I always do - then I want the correct materials.

Weldon 20 might.. and I mean might hold well enough in a sump for long term use..
silicone doesnt bond to acrylic as brenden said.. it might give way over time with much in the way of preasure changes.. as far as glass to glass silicone bonds to both..
I personaly dont like the idea of drillling after the fact, plan plan plan then measure three times and drill once LOL. so glass is fine.. :D

Back
Top Bottom