Going away, need ideas for auto feeders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Franco7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im going away for like 4 nights and 5 days to vegas, my question is does anyone know of any good auto feeders or pyramids. I heard a lot of bad things from local pet stores and other people about them. but are there any good ones.

Thanks in advanced guys.

Frank

Sorry guys my lack of detail, i have a 55 gallon fw tank, it consists of all tropical community fish.

You can leave your fishies without food for five days or maybe prepare a tiny container with food for one time feeding. Maybe your friends or relatives can stop by once and throw that in.

ya no one is going to be around, so thats why im not sure about getting an auto feeder or not.

You're not going to be gone that long, so why not just throw in a couple zucchini sliced up? (Put some kind of weight on a couple pieces if you have bottom feeders.) It's likely to be messy, but it's better than coming home to hungry disgruntled fish, no? :lol:

When we go on vacation we usually just get those time released things. Usually one for a week.

The feeder blocks (aka vacation blocks) are not all that good. I used one once when I went on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks. I came back and all the fish were dead and the tank had a sky high ammonia level. The block barely even broke apart and the tank was very cloudy. If you're going to be gone for 6 days or less, you don't need to worry about it. If you really want to use an automatic feeder, purchase one about 2 weeks before you go on vacation. Set it up and let it run for the entire two weeks before you leave. That way you will be able to monitor how much food is released. I've heard of one that released all of the food at the initial feeding. Then I heard of one that didn't release anything. So it's a good idea to check it out before you leave.

Thanks guys, i think this time im just going to over feed them a little more right before i leave, and put some of the sinking pallets in the tank, but i might look into a auto feeder for next time when i have enough time to monitor it. If theres anymore ideas please still let me know, i will be leaving tonight at 5:30 and thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom