Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Going from Vinyl Tubing to PVC?

I'm plumbing my return pump from my sump to my main. I've got vinyl tubing for the return. Here's my problem (being a newbie to the plumbing scene), I'm splitting the return, using a tee - one line will be vinyl going back to the tank, the other line will be pvc going into my fuge using a ball valve and a pvc spraybar.

I just tried to piece together pvc and those hose barb fittings but they don't seem to fit each other. They are both 1" fittings but they fit too snug to completely screw in.

I"m only able to screw the pvc connection about 2 times around the thread into the hose barb (even using pliers). I'm using teflon tape and they are tight enough that I can't back them off. Should I be okay? Or should I buy more and pvc cement them? Or should I be okay?

Trying to finally finish my sump this weekend. This has taken me way too long.

SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Doesn't sound like the threads match. Personaly I would recomend using Slip Type Barbed Fitting along with a combination of Slip Tee's and elbows to acheive what you need. I think you get a better seal whith slip type. You will ofcourse need something to glue it together with like some purple primer and some cement

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Thanks so much.

Yes, a local reefer told me I must have gotten garden hose barb fittings, which has a different thread count. Which stinks because I got it in the plumbing section of HD. Oh well, looks like I have more returns and another trip to the hardware store today.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote

pvc, tubing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com