Going from Vinyl Tubing to PVC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm plumbing my return pump from my sump to my main. I've got vinyl tubing for the return. Here's my problem (being a newbie to the plumbing scene), I'm splitting the return, using a tee - one line will be vinyl going back to the tank, the other line will be pvc going into my fuge using a ball valve and a pvc spraybar.

I just tried to piece together pvc and those hose barb fittings but they don't seem to fit each other. They are both 1" fittings but they fit too snug to completely screw in.

I"m only able to screw the pvc connection about 2 times around the thread into the hose barb (even using pliers). I'm using teflon tape and they are tight enough that I can't back them off. Should I be okay? Or should I buy more and pvc cement them? Or should I be okay?

Thanks.

Trying to finally finish my sump this weekend. This has taken me way too long.

Thanks so much.

Yes, a local reefer told me I must have gotten garden hose barb fittings, which has a different thread count. Which stinks because I got it in the plumbing section of HD. Oh well, looks like I have more returns and another trip to the hardware store today.

Back
Top Bottom