Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2005, 04:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Gordinho80
Going the Canister Filter route...have questions...

I have decided to go with a canister filter for my 55gal FW...

I have an aqua clear 500 right now and have lost many fish to its strong intake tube and have been told by many to go with a canister filter...so i am...

i am looking at the Fluval 304, rated for a 70 gal with 260gph...should be enough, right? the 404 is $20 more and is rated for 100gal with 340gph...am i better off with the 404?

also, i currently have no fish in there and will be setting up a community tank...i am going to have sand substrate and possibly add natural plants in the future...

my other question is this...what media should i use in the baskets for optimun filtration in a community tank that will most likely have natural plants?

thanks in advance...
Mario

Old 01-25-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
With so little difference in price I would suggest going with the 404. As far as media goes you should put a greater emphasis on biological and mechanical filtration when you have live plants. Avoid chemical filtration using carbon because that can remove the plant nutrients from the water.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey Mario,

The Fluval are not exactly getting a good press on this forum. If your budget allows it, I would recommend to go with the Rena XP filter or even better you can go with the absoluted quiet/reliable Eheim 2026 Pro II. (I own this one and this it is by far the smartest aquarium purchase I ever made).

2026 Eheim Pro II
70 watts ligth
2-15 watts 18" fluoarescent (aqua-glo)
2-20 watts 24" fluoarescent (coralife richromatic)

I have planted the following:
3-Ceratopteris thalictroides
3-java fern
1-hygrophila polysperma
1-Bacopa monnieri
1-anubius barteri

tiger barbs, scissortail rasbora, gold tetras, pleco, serpea tetras, ottocinclus

+stupid ugly castle to make wife accept the tank
Scuba_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also own an Eheim 2026 Pro II and absolutely love it - especially its easy self priming feature. I've seen the Rena XP in operation and am impressed with its performance also - you need to prime this filter manually.

Have you tried attaching a sponge to the intake of your Aquaclear? That should prevent even fry from getting sucked into it.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

If you are getting a canister and want the Fluval, get the 404 (very popular for 55gal tanks) and if you are getting the Rena get the XP3. Do not pay a lot of attention to the flow rating - they are rated with the canister empty, so it does not mean a whole lot. I have the XP3 on my 55 and it is a wonderful filter. If you can afford it, though, definitely get yourself an Eheim. It will last you a very long time.

Healthy fish should not have any trouble keeping out of an AC500 filter intake, though, so unless we are talking about fry the filter might not be the problem at all.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Gordinho80
thanks all for the replies...i am gonna try a sponge on the filter intake first for a bit...if i decide to still go with the canister, i will be going with the Eheim 2026 Pro II...

thanks again...
Mario
Old 01-25-2005, 01:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The Fluval are not exactly getting a good press on this forum.
I like my Fluvals

Definitely try the sponge over the intake tube. Also check and see if the AC has a valve that allows you to reduce the flow.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
I like my Fluval too, I think press is typically bad, if someone had a bad experience they tend to be far more vocal then the ones that have had good experience.

Oh, and the skimmer attachment for fluval is a very nice thing to keep the top of the water nice and clear (mine on a 304 will skim the entire surface clear in about 2 minutes on a 75Gal)
Old 01-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Drake
You can get those filters at www.bigalsonline.com for a lot cheaper plus shipping and handling. But I recommend that you use a H.O.T Magnum 250 gph or a Magnum 350 gph. There is not much price difference, except that one is a hang on the back canister filter and the larger one is a canister filter that uses pipes and sits underneath the tank.
10 gallon-brackish, figure-eight puffer, knight goby
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also have a 404 and love it. I would have gotten an Eheim but even online they are twice as expensive as the fluvals.

penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com