gold fish with or without

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mamie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok now my next question since we've decided to keep the gold fish in his 30 gallon he's always had a filter it's an aqua-tech 20-40 as well as an 80 w heater, well since I've had him that is...anyhow does he need that? I know some people leave their goldfish in a bowl??? or can I use those in my 55gallon??

Goldfish need a filter, and should not be kept in a bowl :) They however do not need a heater, unless the tank temp drops below 70 or so degrees. Goldfish are coldwater fish, although the fancy variety can tolerate warmer temps. Warmer temperatures have less dissolved o2 than cooler temps.

Yes, indeed. Goldfish absolutely need a filter! And Bluiz is correct...goldfish should never be kept in a bowl! They are active fish, need lots of space, and need much more oxygen and filtration than can ever be provided for in a bowl.

It's a testament to how hardy some goldfish are, that they can even survive that way. But they are unhappy, physically unwell, and short-lived.

wow my sister kept 2 of them for 9 years in a bowl....I don't konw what to do with this guy I love watching him it's nice cause he's so big but then again, I love live bearrers

What kind of goldfish is he? If he is a fancy, you can get him a friend in that 30. You can also have a school of white clouds with the fancy golds. <That would look almost like a school of livebearers ....> Commons will prob have them for snacks .... still a bit risky with a big fancy, but if the WC's are at least 1" should be Ok.

If you have a comet or other single tailed goldfish, you would want to look for a pond. You can prob keep it in a 30 until ~5-6", but they do best in at least a 6' tank.

Yes, goldies definitely need good filters ... most fanciers have filters that are rated at least double the tank size. <A small canister would not be out of place for your 30 .... I run a HOT Magnum in my 10 as QT!>

A heater is good insurance if you live in cold climes. Fancies not just "tolerate" warmer temps, they are sub-tropicals, & need to be in temp of mid 70's. Since you are in Sudbury, you would want to keep the heater for winter. Just set it to 72 or so year round.

That is NOT a fancy in the pic. It is prob a common or a comet, and a small one! It will grow to 12-18" & live up to 15-20 years under good conditions. <The record is 36 years ...>

you will be fine with just the one in the 30 for may be another year or 2, but you will need a much bigger setup if you want to see him live to its full life. I would suggest looking for a friend with a pond. :)

Commons are cold water & you can let the water go down to the 60's. they will hibernate when the temp is less than 50 or so, and can overwinter outside as long as the water is not frozen. <Not in Sudbury! or Edmonton, unless your pond is 10 or more foot deep ...>

Back
Top Bottom