Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #1

Good Bulbs?

Because of the raised center bar on my 55g, I am basically stuck with the two 18" single strip hoods my tank came with. I want to replace the stock lights that came with it, and I'm just basically looking for lights that are going to bring out my fishes color - I don't have any live plants and I don't want to encourage algea growth. Good choice?

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...d1=1843;pcid2=
Old 12-05-2005, 02:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those sound really good. But you won't know for sure until you buy them.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
For lights ... anything with a temp of 10,000K and actinics are the best for bringing out natural fish colorations.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerLunchbox
For lights ... anything with a temp of 10,000K and actinics are the best for bringing out natural fish colorations.
I tried a 50/50 bulb and it was really dull, I think with a single strip light I'm better off with just a really bright normal spectrum bulb, no?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
i didn't say to use a 50/50 because as you stated ... a 50/50 does make it a bit duller ... use one bulb that is 10,000K and the other is actinic. That way, it gives the best natural and bright light possible. anything over 10,000K gives a more white light.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 01:11 AM   #6

Re: Good Bulbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
Because of the raised center bar on my 55g, I am basically stuck with the two 18" single strip hoods my tank came with
Thats all I got, I can't get a doule fixture for it because its a weird size hood(2 x 22")
Old 12-06-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Those bulbs won't be too dim, but it's really hard to say since they don't provide a K temp or a CRI chart for them.

I had a bulb for a while that was an 18,000K color temp. The higher you go over 10,000 the bluer the light gets. This isn't to say 18,000K is anything like actinic...just that if you held it side by side to a 10,000, it'd have a noticably blue tint to it.

That will really bring out the red, blue and purples in your fish. yellow will be largely unaffected, as are greens.

You might hit your LFS and see if they have these in stock, as i'm sure the package itself has at least a K value, if not a spectral graph.

Tags
bulb, bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com