Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

It will hold bb. I don't think it is very effective at it. Not nearly as much surface area as there is in your filter media or sponge foam. You just need to exchange it once it is soiled badly, not that often. You should be able to rinse it in tankwater and put the same piece back in. If it becomes soiled enough that you want to change it. You can rip it in half and just change out a portion of it so you don't lose all the bb from it.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

If its not very effective at holding bb, how does the cycle work? I thought you needed all that bb for a clean tank.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

You are using this to assist in mechanical filtration. You still need to use the other filter media.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

for example, I use a layer of poly foam(mechanical filtration), a layer of activated carbon(chemical filtration), and then a layer of biorings or sponge foam(bb).
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then why was I told to take the cartridge out and use polyfill instead? I'm confused. If it won't help my filter problem, why should I put it in? I might as well just get a whole new cartridge and try that.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I wouldn't take out the other filter media, just add this. It will do most of the mechanical filtration and is easy and cheap to replace. Leaving your regular filter media clean. So that can do it's job with the bb and chemical filtration.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the same Whisper filter. I took a pair of knee high stockings you get at the department store for .33 cents and pulled it over the bottom of the filter. It traps some of the bigger stuff before it can clog the inside filter. Helps a lot and cheap. You can get a small HOB power filter online for $11-$15. I order from this place Aquarium Filtration and Water Quality: Aqueon QuietFlow Power Filters. A link to a cheap HOB is in the link. I like how quiet my Whisper Internal filter was but it really didn't filter much. I did buy a Whisper HOB but it was really noisy and I replaced it with an Aquaclear50. The Whisper40 HOB filtered great and was cheap, $16 but I could never get it to quieten down. The only way I could limit the noise was to feed my CO2 into the intake pipe. No idea why this quietened it some but it worked.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you are only using the crappy filter cartridge that comes with it, you can take it out. I haven't used any in years. Def get some bio rings or lava rock too. It all holds bb. Those cartridges are crap IMO
Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine just doesn't cut it anymore. It's quiet. I have it hanging on the back of the tank. I'm just tired of fighting with it trying to make it filter. I might have to get a new cartridge for it to work right.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Whatever you do PLEASE do not waste your money on aqueon quiet flow filters! Of anything buy a aquaclear or some other hob filter just not aqueon. They have poorly designed their filters and I am disappointed in my aqueon 10-20

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com