Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict
I got the new cartridge in with the old one. I'll wait a week or two and then remove the old one and add the sponge. I don't have the option of removing the old little by little. I don't have a canister filter. The media in this style is just a cartridge. I'm doing what I read in other threads you're supposed to do when changing a cartridge. If its not right, I don't have much other options.

There is no such thing as an expert. Only more experienced than others.
BettaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict
What I was saying was to cut the old cartridge to fit or make it smaller. I cut my old filter in half in my Whisper 10 when I replaced the filter. I then took the piece I cut off and stuck it between the Whisper 10 and tank wall. Just pushed it behind the filter so I wouldn't have to throw any of it away. All the filter media does is hold bacteria and any gunk that is floating around in the tank. You could just stick a big sponge in it and nothing else. It would serve the same purpose. I have found that the Whisper 10 internal filter doesn't filter very well any way. A lot of stuff settles to the bottom of the tank. It does circulate the water pretty well though. It is what I started out with. Later when you have a little money you could upgrade. Put a little back at a time until you have what you want to spend on one and then pick one. Truthfully I have found that all HOB work. Some are just more noisy than others. My Whisper 40 did a good job of cleaning the water. It was just so noisy I couldn't sleep, watch tv, or pretty much anything. You may purchase one and not have a noise issue. Or if you are satisfied with the internal filter don't worry about it. Just buy what filter media you can afford and use it. You don't have to purchase their cartridges if you save the plastic piece. Just wrap something around it and put it back in.

wildroseofky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #53
Cheap filters are not always the best

If I was you I would buy a filter you can get parts fast and easy for and not a filter you may need to order parts for and them taking 7 days to arrive for which time you will have no filter

Go to your local store and see what filters and spares they stock then come home and order that filter from the net

That said I like to buy hardware like filters and heaters from my local store yes they maybe a bit more Expensive but at least you know they will exchange it on the spot if you have a warranty issue

T1KARMANN is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com