Good deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matratzac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found a tank on craigslist for $40

This includes a 29 gallon slightly used tank (no cracks), a hood w/o light, and 1 working filter (would not use it bc i already have a really nice one). I would need to get a lightbulb and am trying to find a really cheap stand for it somewhere. Is this a good deal or should I look somewhere else? I can't find any others on craigslist and can't find any in my location on ebay, any help?

I would definatly take a look at the tank first. If it isn't filled with water when you look, tell the person that you are buying it from, that the sale is subject to "no leak". Be careful and aware of the condition of the seals as well as the glass, no chips cracks etc.

Most 29 gallons at the big box retailers are around 200 bucks, maybe a bit more, but that comes with heater filter, light, filter, and other necessities.

Sounds like you are going to have a few things to buy, but all in all depending on condition sounds pretty good

any other advice? im going to look at the tank tommorrow around 3 pm but am kinda torn because all i need is the tank, hood and light. it comes with a heater too as well as 1 filter, and that would mark the $ up higher.

I paid $378 out the door for my All-Glass 40 Gallon Tall, Jager Heater, and Eclipse 3 hood/lighting/filtration system, 50 lbs of blue gravel, and a nice all-glass wood stand. I thought it was a pretty good deal :)

I would go to some of the major companies such as oceanic and all-glass and look for a local reseller in your area. around here i know petsmart sells oceanic tanks, but they dont look the same build quality as the ones i see in my LFS.

Craigslist is hit or miss, i have seen people advertise tanks as "mint" only to get there and find it with a sealed hole and the seller saying that "it doesn leak". I looked at at least 15 craigslist tanks without success before finally just saying forget it and going to my LFS and buying my setup.

good luck!

-Pleco

If the tank is in good shape it is not a bad deal. i think I may 69.00 for just a 29 gallon. No lid or anything else.

Interesting. I think I paid $69.99 for my 29 gallon with the hood and light included. Since you would still have to buy the light for the $40 tank, I'm not sure you would save any money when it's all said and done.

Sounds like a fair deal, used tanks generally sell for $1/gallon. I picked up a 30 long at a yard sale w/cabinet stand, hood, light, Whisper 60 hob filter, gravel, and assorted deco for $55. The only thing missing was a heater, it had been used for goldfish.

Man... our prices in chicago must be very elevated, there is no way you can get a 29 gallon with a hood and light for 69.00. :( cost of living stinks

The one they're talking about is probably the petsmart special (topfin) tank kit.

I didn't think petsmart carried oceanic. The one near me doesn't. I can find oceanic at PetCo though, and all-glass at PetLand.

Back
Top Bottom