Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good Emperor 400 Setup?

Hey all!

I currently have a 60 gallon freshwater community tank setup with two Emperor 400 filters.

As far as media goes...I am running all four bio-wheels and then I'm using all four of the grey filter trays filled with polyester pillow fill. I have a full tub of Marineland Premium carbon that I haven't used in a while because the last time I used it in the filter trays, I got carbon all over the tank.

What would you guys recommend for filter media? Should I get some kind of filter bag for the carbon? Should I just buy the replacement cartridges?

Thanks for any help guys!

Old 01-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use Seachem Matrix in my 400 and I use cut to fit filter pad and just use 1/2 of the grey holder to keep it in place . Hope that makes sense .

Old 01-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

So you pour the Matrix into one side of the grey tray, then put the filter pad on top of the Matrix?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

No , I put the Matrix in the grey holder and close it up and put a piece of pad on 1/2 half of another grey holder and slide it in place with the water going through the grey holder first then the pad . Or you can put it the other way round . Hope that makes more sense .
Old 01-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ah yes...that clears things up for me. I was thinking today about adding carbon directly into the tray and then sliding the tray into a filter sock or something. I figure this would prevent any carbon from escaping out into the tank. I'd like to use up my carbon supply before buying anything new...though I have read great things about Purigen as well.

Tags
setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com