Good filter for 29gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah1122

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey! I have a filter but I don't think its going a great job! Are there any good filters out there that I should consider?

I'd recommend an aquaclear 50 for that tank. And a 70 if you want messy fish lol

They really are great filters, I;ve been running them over 10 years and the filter media is very easy to change out.

I setup my first tank 2 weeks ago! 29 gallon, and put in the eheim 2213 that is virtually silent.

With the quick disconnect adapters (that come with) changing filter media has been a breeze.

The only issue really is the water flow since I am heavily planting my tank with a large hardscape, so I bought a koralia nano 425 powerhead thats on the way!

The eheim cost me 85 bucks, and the powerhead cost 30.

I just bought an aquaclear 50 for my 29. I love it. You can control the water flow. And supposedly if you turn the water flow down, 50% of the water gets circulated through the filter many times. The only issue is its kind if loud. It doesn't buzz or hum but the water coming out of It makes substantial noise. So if its in your bedroom and you have problems sleeping if its not quiet that's something to think about. It cost me about 40$ with tax

tarpon said:
I just bought an aquaclear 50 for my 29. I love it. You can control the water flow. And supposedly if you turn the water flow down, 50% of the water gets circulated through the filter many times. The only issue is its kind if loud. It doesn't buzz or hum but the water coming out of It makes substantial noise. So if its in your bedroom and you have problems sleeping if its not quiet that's something to think about. It cost me about 40$ with tax

If you raise the water level, the noise should be quieter

Yeah, but where the water comes out is all the way up near the trim. And I like to keep the water an inch below the trim

tarpon said:
Yeah, but where the water comes out is all the way up near the trim. And I like to keep the water an inch below the trim

If you get tired of the noise, just raise the water level some

sarah1122 said:
Hey! I have a filter but I don't think its going a great job! Are there any good filters out there that I should consider?

Agreed, the Aqua Clear 50 is the perfect size filter for a 29g and 2 is even better if you have messy stock like goldfish.

Are there specific advantages to using those aquaclear filters? When I was planning my tank I didn't see a reason why anyone would get one of those when eheim canister filters aren't really that much more expensive, especially when you're talking about 2.

Uhhhmmmm flow control and biomax media for bb growth? 3 stages of filtration? Mr.L would be able to tell you better

digitallinh said:
Are there specific advantages to using those aquaclear filters? When I was planning my tank I didn't see a reason why anyone would get one of those when eheim canister filters aren't really that much more expensive, especially when you're talking about 2.

They both have good/bad points. I love my fluval 305 canister, but to maintain the flow rate to clean up after my GSP's the current would be way to strong for any of my other fish even with the spray bar. AC50's on my Goldie tank are great because I can swap out the poly-fil in a couple minutes when I don't need to service the entire filter. The biggest benefit of an extra HOB is if I setup a new tank or need to do a fast QT/hospital setup, I can pull one filter and have a fully cycled tank in about 10 minutes time.

I'd use an AC70 on a 29 gallon. The flow rate on the 50 isn't as high as I would want on a 29, plus the 70 has a bigger media compartment. The biggest tank I would use a 50 for is a 20 gallon.

Eheim canisters are excellent in terms of reliability, and a canister gives you plenty of room for all the media you want to stuff in there. I have never talked to someone that was dissatisfied with an Eheim canister. I use Renas and Fluvals and I like those a lot as well.

You can always open up a canister and remove some media, stuff in a HOB filter, and there's your cycled tank.

HOB filters are simply easier to clean than canisters, and generally move more water for the $$. An aquaclear 50 on a 29 is fine for small fish like tetras and Cory cats. That model pumps around 200 GPH, which would turn over the actual water volume in a 29 gallon tank 8x/hour.
If you do prefer a canister (not enough clearance behind the tank for an hob or simply want it out-of-sight inside the stand) I'd recommend an eheim 2215 for a 29. The eheim classic series are simpler and less expensive than the ecco or pro series, and will last for many, many years w/out replacing parts.

I ended up buying a Marineland Penguin 200 Power Filter! Its a great filter so far! The water is already crystal clear!

Back
Top Bottom