Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Are there specific advantages to using those aquaclear filters? When I was planning my tank I didn't see a reason why anyone would get one of those when eheim canister filters aren't really that much more expensive, especially when you're talking about 2.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Uhhhmmmm flow control and biomax media for bb growth? 3 stages of filtration? Mr.L would be able to tell you better

Old 07-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallinh
Are there specific advantages to using those aquaclear filters? When I was planning my tank I didn't see a reason why anyone would get one of those when eheim canister filters aren't really that much more expensive, especially when you're talking about 2.
They both have good/bad points. I love my fluval 305 canister, but to maintain the flow rate to clean up after my GSP's the current would be way to strong for any of my other fish even with the spray bar. AC50's on my Goldie tank are great because I can swap out the poly-fil in a couple minutes when I don't need to service the entire filter. The biggest benefit of an extra HOB is if I setup a new tank or need to do a fast QT/hospital setup, I can pull one filter and have a fully cycled tank in about 10 minutes time.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd use an AC70 on a 29 gallon. The flow rate on the 50 isn't as high as I would want on a 29, plus the 70 has a bigger media compartment. The biggest tank I would use a 50 for is a 20 gallon.

Eheim canisters are excellent in terms of reliability, and a canister gives you plenty of room for all the media you want to stuff in there. I have never talked to someone that was dissatisfied with an Eheim canister. I use Renas and Fluvals and I like those a lot as well.

You can always open up a canister and remove some media, stuff in a HOB filter, and there's your cycled tank.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

HOB filters are simply easier to clean than canisters, and generally move more water for the $$. An aquaclear 50 on a 29 is fine for small fish like tetras and Cory cats. That model pumps around 200 GPH, which would turn over the actual water volume in a 29 gallon tank 8x/hour.
If you do prefer a canister (not enough clearance behind the tank for an hob or simply want it out-of-sight inside the stand) I'd recommend an eheim 2215 for a 29. The eheim classic series are simpler and less expensive than the ecco or pro series, and will last for many, many years w/out replacing parts.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I ended up buying a Marineland Penguin 200 Power Filter! Its a great filter so far! The water is already crystal clear!

Tags
29 gallon, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com