Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Good Filters?

Hey there, AA. I'm a newbie FWT owner, and I'm interested in getting a filter for my 100G tank. Are there certain brands or strengths (gph) filters that I should look into, and how many should I get?

Old 10-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think a powerhead would do okay for you, is the tank a rectangle?
An Marineland Emperor 400 should be all you need.
Mechanical and biological filtration. Some people use the sump or canister filter, but I don;t know that advantage of those. I assume they are useful for tanks with >100 gals.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes, the tank is rectangular. Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgcali View Post
An Marineland Emperor 400 should be all you need.
That`s what I use in a couple of my FW tanks. Works great. I`m sure there are other suggestions out there.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I've had extremely bad luck with marineland filters... I would really suggest a canister for a tank that size. I have two canisters on my 150g. I really like the fluval filters. A couple 305's or a 305 and 405 would work great on there, or you could always put an FX5 on there. I only have experience with fluvals and eheims, and I would suggest the fluval hands down over the eheim. A lot of people have really good luck with rena xp filters as well. IMO, its best to stick with two filters rated for the tank size, as you have a backup in case one fails (and they're never rated realistically).

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

in the bigger aquariums i use canisters i personally prefer the rena xp or the c series canisters.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

What do you mean by extremely bad luck? Ive had no problems with my penguins and emperors, there the best I've ever had. But, for a 100g I'd use a canister, I'd suggest a marineland canister, there high quality, and provide superior biological filtration compared to "bioballs". I'd suggest an emporer though, as canisters are expensive, and they really don't have many benefits over HOBs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I've had extremely bad luck with marineland filters... I would really suggest a canister for a tank that size. I have two canisters on my 150g. I really like the fluval filters. A couple 305's or a 305 and 405 would work great on there, or you could always put an FX5 on there. I only have experience with fluvals and eheims, and I would suggest the fluval hands down over the eheim. A lot of people have really good luck with rena xp filters as well. IMO, its best to stick with two filters rated for the tank size, as you have a backup in case one fails (and they're never rated realistically).
Old 10-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA123 View Post
What do you mean by extremely bad luck? Ive had no problems with my penguins and emperors, there the best I've ever had. But, for a 100g I'd use a canister, I'd suggest a marineland canister, there high quality, and provide superior biological filtration compared to "bioballs". I'd suggest an emporer though, as canisters are expensive, and they really don't have many benefits over HOBs
How long have they been running?

I'm a fan of the RENA XPs. For the price, you can't beat them. Eheims are work horses too, but are a bit higher priced. You'll probably want to look at running 2 filters, regardless of brand. That will allow you some fault redundancy and the ability to clean one without risking the cycle in the other. Canisters have a ton of benefits over HOBs.... A sump or wet/dry would likely be even better.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #9

On that size tank I wouldn't consider any canister except a Fluval FX5. It comes with an instructional DVD so it is super easy to mess with if this is your first canister. It is an amazing filter. Buy it online or even used on craigs and you will get a steal. If you have to pay MAP of $330 it is worth every penny. The only exception I would ever make is to get a canister with backwash option like the Ocean Clear 354. Any other canister would need supplemental filtration (like an AquaClear 110 HOB or two of whatever you choose) because they simply can't handle that much water.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go canister or sump filtration for any tank larger than about 50g.

If you're the DIY type, google "Melev's Reef" and look at his sump section to get a detailed overview of how sumps work. It's pretty easy to design a basic sump using an old aquarium, some glass, and silicone. 55g tanks work pretty well as filters for larger tanks. I picked up an old beat-up 55g at a garage sale for $10 with the intention of using it for a sump for my 300g whenever I get the time and money to set it up.

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com