Good heater for a 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barliman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

I'm setting up a 10g tank. First, as a grow-out home for my platy fry before I give them away, then as a quarantine tank for new arrivals. The heater I have for it is a Fluval E-series 50w. Well-reviewed, but freakin' huge! It takes up a lot of real estate. :eek:

Can anyone recommend a reliable, smaller heater suitable for a 10g tank?

:thanks:

Just about anything here as doesn't get too cold. I like ones that can be adjusted with auto shut-off if they detect no water (don't ask me how :) ).

I like submersible. Because I suck at keeping the top above water all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys. :thanks:

I have an older (but never used) Visitherm on my 20-long, and it's worked like a champ so far. (Knock on fish-food can. :hide: ) But, reading recent reviews on Amazon, it looks like quality on these has gone down in recent years.

I do want submersible, though. Maybe a trip to the LFS is in order. Darn. :brows:

I've never not had a submersible (never even knew others existed). Are the ones that sit above a water line? any good?

Well its big, but the lowers wattages may be smaller....Nat Geo adjustable and submersible heaters are awesome.

I've never not had a submersible (never even knew others existed). Are the ones that sit above a water line? any good?

I've had both. And I have accidentally gotten the ones that aren't submersible submerged on accident and they have survived in spite of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So, I set the tank up tonight and used a Fluval E-series 50-watt I happened to have. First time I've used this heater: I love the display, the precise control, and the plastic cage to protect the heater.

On the other hand, this thing is flipping huge for a 10g tank! To have it upright, I had to dig a pit in the gravel so the tip wasn't buried. Even so, the top is still almost at the surface. :shocked!:

And, because of the cage, this heater takes up a lot of space in such a small tank. Seems to me this is better suited to a sump, where it would be out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom