Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good ligjts for a.reef tank

What is the best cheapest lights I can get for a reef tank? I like how some have the 2 special lights n can leave on all the time .. This is what I want to buy myself with my income tax please help

Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

2 special lights? You mean the moonlight leds? You need to be more specific and what your tank dimensions are. Do you want to have sps? lps? softies? only fish?

Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes the moon lights... I want corals eventually ... Sry this is my first Sw tank I don't know what all is needed for information
Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

How tall, wide, long your tank is. What kind of corals do you want to keep?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I recently bought this Odyssea fixture, and I'm impressed I've read a lot of neg. reviews about these online especially the older models but for the money I'm very pleased with this setup. I only have a couple polyps that hitch hiked on some live rock, and before I got the light they stayed closed for 2wks now after the light they open everyday, also my live rock are starting to flourish with new life and increased growth of existing life, Where before they were declining with a regular 1 18w bulb. I'm sure if you spend $500 you will get a better quality light but for $160, It would be tough to beat this light even buying used stuff. Heck even just the buls would cost $60, and You could upgrade this fixture down the road with better bulbs and ballast and have a top notch light for still less than buying some brands.

Compare to the Hamilton Technology Belize fixture:
2 ft BELIZE SUN MH HQI + High Output T5 + LED Lighting Systems, Hamilton Technology Corp. - SalesAquarium supplies&Aquarium lighting by Hamilton Technology

Odyssea Light
Odyssea Metal Halide System

I have a 47g column tank with 40lbs live rock and 40lbs of sand, 1 striped damsel, 2 domino damsels, 2 yellow tail damsels, a Coral banded shrimp and a Condy anemone. The tank has been running for about 5 weeks about 2 weeks with the new light.

I hope my 2cents helps some.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Moved to General Hardware/Equipment Discussion.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
How tall, wide, long your tank is. What kind of corals do you want to keep?
It's a 55g it's long... I'd have to measure to get exact... I'm not sure what kind of corals I want.. I know I want an anemone
Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1
I recently bought this Odyssea fixture, and I'm impressed I've read a lot of neg. reviews about these online especially the older models but for the money I'm very pleased with this setup. I only have a couple polyps that hitch hiked on some live rock, and before I got the light they stayed closed for 2wks now after the light they open everyday, also my live rock are starting to flourish with new life and increased growth of existing life, Where before they were declining with a regular 1 18w bulb. I'm sure if you spend $500 you will get a better quality light but for $160, It would be tough to beat this light even buying used stuff. Heck even just the buls would cost $60, and You could upgrade this fixture down the road with better bulbs and ballast and have a top notch light for still less than buying some brands.

2 ft BELIZE SUN MH HQI + High Output T5 + LED Lighting Systems, Hamilton Technology Corp. - SalesAquarium supplies&Aquarium lighting by Hamilton Technology

Odyssea Light

I have a 47g column tank with 40lbs live rock and 40lbs of sand, 1 striped damsel, 2 domino damsels, 2 yellow tail damsels, a Coral banded shrimp and a Condy anemone. The tank has been running for about 5 weeks about 2 weeks with the new light.

Your tank has only been running for 5 weeks and u already have an anemone? I was told not to get one til my tank had been up at least 6 months!! My tank has been running for 6 weeks now... Do u have pictures of your tank w the lighting? If you do would u please share
Old 02-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1 View Post

Odyssea Light

I do not dispute that the Odysseas are an excellent value, but I would like to point out that a comparison between an Odyssea fixture and that Hamilton fixture (or Sunlight Supply, etc.) is a real stretch IMO. Yes, you get a lot of bang for the buck with the cheap Chinese fixtures, but there is a reason that people spend the money on the higher priced brands. It's like comparing Maxi Jets to Vortechs IMO.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, I found out after the fact that I probably should have held off on the anemone, I was leery about purchasing the anemone, but my LFS reassured me that they are Hearty and all so I purchased then later read that they should be in more mature tanks, but mine seems to be doing well.

The reason I compared the two light fixtures is b/c I wanted to illustrate the price difference between two items that are very similar,and I really like this style of light with the MH, T5 actinics, and LED moonlights all in one sleek fixture with fans and ballast I would definatly prefer american made stuff opposed to chinese, but the price difference was just too great, and like I said about possible future upgrades. like an Icecap ballast and some pheonix bulbs.

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com