Good sites for ordering lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazon, Dr. Fosters and Smith, eBay.

What sort of light were you looking for? What size tank?

Thanks for the responses, guys. This is for a new 105 gallon freshwater tank. I'd like to make this a planted tank, but I don't have a lot of experience with plants. Based on what I've read, it sounds like maybe 2-2.5 watts per gallon would be a good target to start with.

The tank is 60 inches long, and there aren't a lot of options out there for that length from what I've seen. Looks like 60" bulbs are typically 54W or 80W. If I can talk myself into spending the money, I might consider the ATI 4x80 SunPower http://www.saltysupply.com/ATI-60-4x80W-SunPower-p/ati3013.htm. Seems to be marketed more for marine tanks, but is there any reason it would be a bad choice for freshwater as long as I choose appropriate bulbs?

I was thinking I could start by using 3 bulbs at first (that's 2.3 watts/gallon) and then add a 4th later once I have a lot of plants thriving (and if I add CO2 injection).

Or I could go for a less powerful (and cheaper!) option like this: http://www.aquaticlife.com/products/286#1. That would give me just over 2 watts per gallon, but no option to increase from there.

Any advice is welcome!

I don't have much experience in terms of larger tanks such as yours, but there's a very important concept that is being misused here. Watts per gallon is a useless way to measure light output when it comes to T5HO lighting due to the variation in reflector quality. WPG is okay to estimate lighting if you were comparing T8, CFLs, etc.

I would PM Rivercats as she has expertise in lighting huge planted tanks. She has a 220g planted. But first you need to determine if you want low, moderate, or high light and if you're going to be using CO2 injection if you decide to go moderate or high.

If you want to go LED, there's also buildmyLED.com. These guys are great and can also assist you in choosing the right lighting for your needs. They most likely have the length you need or can custom build it for you. I think Rivercats got a 72" fixture from them. It's personally go with spectrum geared to Dutch that BML has.

I had no idea that the WPG guidelines I'd read about didn't apply to T5 HO lighting. There are plenty of resources out there that give lighting advice based on WPG

Oops, hit send accidentally... Anyway, thanks for setting me straight on the WPG concept. That saved me from making a bad decision...

I'd probably prefer to go with moderate lighting to at least give myself some options beyond simple low-light plants like Anubias, etc. However that probably means a CO2 system, and that is again something I'll need to research. The only CO2 injection systems I've seen so far seem to be for smaller tanks. Maybe I'll PM rivercats as you suggested.

I checked out buildmyled.com, and that looks like a great option! Thanks for the suggestion!

No prob.... for T5HO, due to the variation in reflector quality... you'd want to compare reflector quality, multiplied by how many bulbs, in relation to distance from light to substrate... here are some pretty good charts to get an estimate:
PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - New Chart

For CO2 systems... Aquatek and Milwaukee both make decent entry-level regulators.

That ATI sunpower fixture you linked is a very good choice for your tank. All you need to do is change out a few bulbs for lower kelvin ones and you are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom