Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
goodbye Prizm...hello Bak-pak!

Ok I just ordered my CPR bak pak reef ready skimmer, so hopefully by Friday I'll be able to put the Prizm in the closet as a backup. I wish I'd never ordered the Prizm

Anyhow, I didn't get the pre-skimmer or the bubble trap - so I'm looking for any tips or advice on making this skimmer live up to its good reputation...mainly on properly positioning the collection cup.

I'd also like to hear comments on whether the pre-skimmer and bubble trap are worthwhile accessories.

Lastly, does anyone run a bag of carbon in their bak-pak? Any tips for that?

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
heard the GAC bag will float up and you need to wedge a piece of sponge in there or something similar. Found the thread on here, so if you do a search on here you may find it. I would think the sponge would be a nitrogen collector.

Let's get a line wet!
got bait? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The preskimmer box works well for me, just ditch the sponge. I removed the biobale and keep my heater in there instead. A bag of GAC may restrict the water flow too much causing an overflow.
46g SW, 65 lbs Fiji LR, 4" Aragamax DSB, Coralife 2X96w CF, CPR Bakpak II, CPR Aquafuge 12 w/ 2x9 Coralife Mini Aqualight, 4 Maxijet 600's, PCI 200W Titanium Heater, 2 Blue Green Chromis, 1 Gold Bar Maroon Clown, 1 Purple-Stripe Dottyback, Finger Leather, Trumpets, Rose Coral Open-Brain, Pagoda Cup, Xenia, Star Polyps, Yellow Polyps, Various Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, 12 Astraea, 10 Nassarius, 4 Bumble Bee, 6 Cerith Snails, 12 Red Tip Hermits.
phases99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 12:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
congrats on the change!!!!

I have had very few problems with mine, I do have a pre-skimmer box, It will help the effeciency of your skimmer and it hides the ugly pump and wires and tubes.

I have my cup positioned with the lip about 1/4 of an inch below water level now. However, my bio-load is extremely small, so I have yet to see a serious difference in placement of the cup.

I have not had a serious problem with micro bubbles yet, so I think a bubble trap might be overkill on your Bak Pak 2R.

One note: to greatly increase the quietness of my bak pak, I used about 3 feet of air tubing instead of the few inches of tubing provided. This worked wonders!

I also replaced the non-functioning air valve with one that came with my maxijet powerhead.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com