goodbye Prizm...hello Bak-pak!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I just ordered my CPR bak pak reef ready skimmer, so hopefully by Friday I'll be able to put the Prizm in the closet as a backup. I wish I'd never ordered the Prizm :x

Anyhow, I didn't get the pre-skimmer or the bubble trap - so I'm looking for any tips or advice on making this skimmer live up to its good reputation...mainly on properly positioning the collection cup.

I'd also like to hear comments on whether the pre-skimmer and bubble trap are worthwhile accessories.

Lastly, does anyone run a bag of carbon in their bak-pak? Any tips for that?

heard the GAC bag will float up and you need to wedge a piece of sponge in there or something similar. Found the thread on here, so if you do a search on here you may find it. I would think the sponge would be a nitrogen collector. :?

The preskimmer box works well for me, just ditch the sponge. I removed the biobale and keep my heater in there instead. A bag of GAC may restrict the water flow too much causing an overflow.

congrats on the change!!!!

I have had very few problems with mine, I do have a pre-skimmer box, It will help the effeciency of your skimmer and it hides the ugly pump and wires and tubes.

I have my cup positioned with the lip about 1/4 of an inch below water level now. However, my bio-load is extremely small, so I have yet to see a serious difference in placement of the cup.

I have not had a serious problem with micro bubbles yet, so I think a bubble trap might be overkill on your Bak Pak 2R.

One note: to greatly increase the quietness of my bak pak, I used about 3 feet of air tubing instead of the few inches of tubing provided. This worked wonders!

I also replaced the non-functioning air valve with one that came with my maxijet powerhead.

Back
Top Bottom