Got a new canister filter 3 stage was wondering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problems with the filter thank goodness! Just problems with the location the tank is getting set up in. Since it's going to be in a garage, I have to make sure everything is right!

And I will check out that site thanks! Im looking for high lights to grow plants at the bottom of this tank, and its really deep.

I got a steal on light at Discount Pet Supplies-Dog-Cat-Aquatics-Reptile-Small Pet

CORALIFE 4xt5ho 31 watts each for $176 shipped also has 2 moonlights 30INCH LONG

anywhere else they were over $300 check that site also has great deals on aquarium stuff amazing site i ran across also

https://www.roxiespetden.com/Aqualight-T5-Ho-Lunar-Fixture_p_49621.html

Reefpete said:
I got a steal on light at Discount Pet Supplies-Dog-Cat-Aquatics-Reptile-Small Pet

CORALIFE 4xt5ho 31 watts each for $176 shipped also has 2 moonlights 30INCH LONG

anywhere else they were over $300 check that site also has great deals on aquarium stuff amazing site i ran across also

https://www.roxiespetden.com/Aqualight-T5-Ho-Lunar-Fixture_p_49621.html

Dang those are good deals! I need the multi light led's if I get led's, and that is a really good price. Some of the setups I was looking at were over 700.

Dang, I want to know what you think about it lol. I might pickup the cf500 for my tank! I hear good things about them.

MRT555 said:
Dang, I want to know what you think about it lol. I might pickup the cf500 for my tank! I hear good things about them.

For the price you cannot go wrong and every review I have read is good IMO it's a great filter from reviews I read I will continue to post as soon as I get mine and let you know how it does but get it it's a steal and their media is well priced also

This, in this order.

Bottom: coarse filter media ( pad with the unit will work fine)
Middle: fine filter media ( Use what came with it ) polyfil is very nice as well.
Top: Bio media ( Seachem matrix or equivilant ).

I bought a CF400 to see how it stacked up against the Marineland c360 (The filters sold by Aquaclear are Marineland knockoffs). It wasn't a bad unit. However, the Cf400 felt very thin and cheap compared to the Marineland. The valve block on the cf400 was very fragile ( Boil some water and soak the end of the hose before installing or you may crack the valve block. I did not compare gph, I just felt the pressure coming from the outlets, the Marineland seemed a bit stronger.

I have heard good things about these units though. Make sure you keep the seals lubed with silicone grease or vaseline. This seems to be the secret to keeping just about all canister filters sealed and leak free.

Just came now putting pics up went and got all filter media so far

Ceramic rings for bio middle stage

Filter floss for third

And coarse ammonia reducer pads for first stage

Good ?

Zaedon said:
This, in this order.

Bottom: coarse filter media ( pad with the unit will work fine)
Middle: fine filter media ( Use what came with it ) polyfil is very nice as well.
Top: Bio media ( Seachem matrix or equivilant ).

I bought a CF400 to see how it stacked up against the Marineland c360 (The filters sold by Aquaclear are Marineland knockoffs). It wasn't a bad unit. However, the Cf400 felt very thin and cheap compared to the Marineland. The valve block on the cf400 was very fragile ( Boil some water and soak the end of the hose before installing or you may crack the valve block. I did not compare gph, I just felt the pressure coming from the outlets, the Marineland seemed a bit stronger.

I have heard good things about these units though. Make sure you keep the seals lubed with silicone grease or vaseline. This seems to be the secret to keeping just about all canister filters sealed and leak free.

Thanks for the info will check it out now I don't believe mine came with media I bought what I just posted plus I have some floss lying around

Don't really need or want anything that reduces ammonia as it will slow your cycle and make you dependant on them long term. Once you cycle your aquarium you won't have any problems with ammonia. Just use the coarse pads that came with your unit. The rings are fine for bio-media. Make sure you have enough in there to fill the basket up pretty good. Might want to try seachem matrix in the future or something equivalant as it has much more more surface area for BB.

As I posted above I put my bio media in the last tray as you want to avoid getting debri on it as it will plug the media surface rendering your bio media pretty useless.

I thought your unit came with media. Atleast it said it did in the description.

Don't really need or want anything that reduces ammonia as it will slow your cycle and make you dependant on them long term. Once you cycle your aquarium you won't have any problems with ammonia. Just use the coarse pads that came with your unit. The rings are fine for bio-media. Make sure you have enough in there to fill the basket up pretty good. Might want to try seachem matrix in the future or something equivalant as it has much more more surface area for BB.

As I posted above I put my bio media in the last tray as you want to avoid getting debri on it as it will plug the media surface rendering your bio media pretty useless.

I thought your unit came with media. Atleast it said it did in the description.

let me check opening up package right now....and btw my tank is cycled already couple month old im switching from a HOB to this canister so should i run both for a couple days or not swap out right away?

Back
Top Bottom